Mycroft Holmes

Hello readers! This was requested by Hyrule_And_Beyond. I hope you like it! (Also, people, am neither British nor Sheldon Cooper, so my knowledge of British trains is extremely limited. Please bear with me if some of the things I described aren't accurate)

Mycroft didn't know if he was going to make it. His palms were clammy, blood was pumping loudly in his head, infernal noise surrounded him, screams echoed everywhere and shrill sounds reverberated inside his mind.

He was in hell on earth.

He was in a train station.

Not that Mycroft held a particular grudge against trains, no. It's just that train stations contained so many people, so many awfully emotional people, blatantly disclosing possible weaknesses to enemies as they bade tearful goodbyes to those they clearly marked to watchful eyes as their loved ones. And most of all they were so bloody loud.

Nevertheless, ignoring the migraine that was beginning to form, Mycroft trudged on. He boarded the train to York and sat himself, with a heavy sigh and a disgusted look around, in the third class carriage.

It had been years since he had last taken the train, and it had never ever  been third class. He had grown used to what he called a certain level of comfort (but a more accurate word would be opulence), travelling in private jets and having chauffeurs drive him around. He was definitely not thrilled to be downgrading so brutally. But, begrudgingly, Mycroft settled into his seat, as his level of personal comfort was slightly less important than the fate of the modern world. Slightly. His posh habits would have to be thrown aside until he had the files.

Everything had been minutely planned so that not one hostile nation could predict who would be handing Mycroft the precious documents. As a result, not even he  would know until the USB key was slipped into his hand once arrived at the station, whence he would be promptly escorted by several MI5 agents to the heavily secured private jet in which he would return to London. To make the exchange as inconspicuous as possible, it had to take place in the most crowded part of the train, where everyone would be rising to get luggage and causing a great brouhaha once the train arrived at its destination. Unforthunately, that was third class, and unfortunately, Mycroft was the only official trusted with receiving the files, which explained why he was sitting in this crowded, hot, and awfully loud carriage.

Mycroft had at least made a plan to avoid death by boredom and overwhelming presence of goldfish. He placed his earbuds into his ears and started his music, drowning out the surrounding aggravating noises with the soothing notes of his classical music playlist. He then took from his jacket pocket the photos and notes from Sherlock's most recent unsolved case, determined to figure it out in order to gloat about it to his little brother. He closed his eyes and placed his fingers to his temples to think just as the train started moving, when he suddenly felt a presence nearby. Exasperatedly, he opened his eyes, only to nearly have a heart attack as a colourful explosion setting its bags down right in front of him practically caused him to go blind.

You had been looking everywhere for a seat. Everywhere. But, unfortunately, every person you had crossed had seemed to scoot over to take up more room or to set a bag down on the neighbouring seat upon taking one glance at you. People seemed to think that you dressed somewhat extravagantly, but that was because they were all pretty much wearing variations of the colour beige. But you just really liked fun and flashy colours, and honestly didn't care what other people thought of your fashion choices. The more radiant you were in colour, well, the more you were radiant in personality. Your current outfit was witness to this.

You were sporting all the colours of the rainbow, simply because you couldn't decide which was your favourite. But most of all, you were wearing a dazzling smile which was truly the cause for Mycroft's sudden need for sunglasses.