John Bates

This is for madieinthesky . Please forgive me for how late it is, I am so so sorry! I hope you enjoy.

There was another one coming. Oh dear. You tried to keep it in, you truly did, but of couse it didn't work. You only had the time to turn away from the bookshelf you were dusting, and to put your elbow in front of your mouth before-

"Achoo!"

The other maids turned to you. "Bless you!"

Unfortunately, you never sneezed only once.

"Achoo!"

"Bless you"

"Achoo!"

"Bless you!"

"Achoo!"

"Bless you!"

"Good heavens, what is going on?" Mrs. Hughes asked as she walked into the Library, hearing the exchange. "Y/N, are you ill?"

"No, no, Mrs. Hughes, I can carry on with my work. This bookshelf has to be absolutely dust-free by the time the family gets back from London. Truly, I'm-I'm-Achoo!" You sneezed again, and Mrs. Hughes shook her head.

"Off to bed with you. We can't have a sick maid sneezing about the Library," she said, and you sighed.

"Yes, Mrs. Hughes."

You were rather dejected as you made your way to the small room in the servants' quarters you shared with Anna. If you were sick, you couldn't be there when Lord and Lady Grantham would get back from London with their daughters after Lady Sybil's first season. You had been looking forward to seeing everyone come back...although others you would have rather kept as far as possible (*cough* Mrs. O'Brien *cough*).

Still, you were getting a headache, and coughs started to add themselves to your sneezes. Mrs. Hughes had done well to send you to bed. You were definitely coming down with something. You cursed yourself for taking long walks in the cold night air without a scarf on your days off, a nasty habit Mrs. Hughes and Mrs. Patmore had repeatedly discouraged.

You changed into your nightgown and jumped into bed, and fell asleep as your head hit the pillow.

*LATER IN TIME AND SPACE, AFTER HOURS OF NEEDED SLEEP AND MOUTH BREATHING*

"Y/N? Y/N, wake up," a voice said from above you, and you felt yourself being gently shaken. You opened your eyes a crack. A kind face surrounded with braided blonde hair greeted you.

"Hello Anna," you mumbled, and added upon hearing how horrible you sounded, you groaned. "I feel dreadful."

"Yes, well, from the way you were coughing last night in your sleep, I could tell," she replied, but upon seeing your guilty face, she added, "Don't worry, you didn't bother me. I just noticed when I woke up to drink a bit of water. Mrs. Hughes said she would send for Dr. Clarkson today."

You frowned, but stopped when you realized it hurt more when you did so. Trying to brush off the thought that you might be seriously sick, you asked what time it was.

"It's eight o'clock in the morning. I have to be get back to work in a few minutes, but Mrs. Hughes sent me to check in on you. Daisy will be up in a few minutes with your breakfast," she said kindly.

Your eyes widened when she told you how late it was. You felt horrible for being sick, it meant others had to do twice their amount of work. But you were grateful that people were so kind and that you had a great friend like Anna.