Chapter 36: Breaking upon the shore

True to his incredible skill, Silas found a secluded cove nearby to anchor the ship. Owen noticed how quiet Sang was as they sailed to their destination. He'd thought she would be ecstatic, that she'd be throwing herself at the crew, but she seemed to draw more into herself the closer they got to the cove. Her silence stayed as they went ashore to the small strip of beach. She didn't even smile. Owen was concerned. Even when he'd been horrid to her, she'd never withdrawn like this from the others.

The crew gathered wood and built a small fire on the beach, drug some large fallen tree branches over to sit on, and all the while Sang stood in silence, her arms wrapped around her middle and her gaze fixed on the sand. A part of him wanted to go over and hold her, comfort her, find out what was wrong, but he knew he hadn't earned the right. He had a great deal to make up for and explain and he'd spend a lifetime proving how sorry he was if she gave him a chance. No one seemed quite sure what exactly to do as they sat around the fire. The silence grew heavy and the crew exchanged uncomfortable glances even as they fidgeted. Owen stood off to one side watching them. He would speak with her later but this moment wasn't his to be a part of. By extension that also meant that he couldn't help them out of the awkward silence. Just when he'd thought his crew hopeless, it happened, one of them opened their mouth...

"Welcome back, Poppet," and inserted their foot. Oh Sean, that was probably not the way to break the silence. Owen sighed and shook his head as Sang's eyes lifted and went wide, her jaw falling open slightly and her hands falling to her side.

"Welcome back?" Sang's voice was carefully measured and Owen swore he detected a hint of incredulity. "Welcome BACK?" Sang's voice rose on the second word and something flashed hot in her eyes for just a second. "WELCOME BACK?" Sang's voice was screechy now, hints of rage, panic, hurt all lacing in with incredulity as her face twisted with anger. The crew went still, faces displaying their shock. No one moved, no dared so much as twitch as Sang stared them down.

"You stood there, all of you, as your beloved captain put me off the ship. None of you spoke up for me, none of you opted to stay with me. No, you just left me there without a word, with only what I was wearing and a small amount of coins. You LEFT me, ALL OF YOU! You just left me there! And all you say is welcome back!" Owen saw a tear slide down Sang's cheek and her shoulders heaved. He wanted to go to her but he stayed where he was, knowing he would be unwelcome. "You don't know what I've been through, the things I've endured by going back to that house. The abuse, degradation, the nightmares. And none of you cared enough to come to me. You abandoned me and now you act like nothing happened. Well, something did happen, a lot of somethings happened. You didn't want me, so you don't get to act like you're happy I'm back." The tears were flowing freely now and Owen saw Silas get up and move towards Sang. She was too upset to notice.

Silas pulled Sang tight against him as sobs wracked her body. He held her close as the others sat, dumbfounded at her outburst. Owen wasn't sure what they'd been expecting. Even he had been shocked that none of them had spoken up when insisted on putting her off the ship, even more so when none of them left or went after her later. Owen could admit he'd made a mistake when he put her off the ship, not so much the putting her off as the execution of it. He was still convinced that it had been necessary at the time. Sang pushed away from Silas chest a little.

"Take me back." There was a waver in her voice but it still held her rage. The crew all started talking at once. Sang fisted her hands against Silas chest as the crew pleaded with her. Owen stepped forward and held up a hand. Silence descended. For the first time Owen spoke.

"Miss Sorenson, do you truly wish to back to the governor's mansion? If so, we shall take you but you are welcome to stay on the ship."

Sang lifted her chin and met his eyes, the hurt and betrayal clear in their emerald depths. Tears still ran down her cheeks. "Do you know what the worst thing was? The ache. Every night when I went to sleep, every morning when I woke up, every single time I woke screaming from a nightmare, every time I was yelled at, cursed at, yanked, slapped, pinched. Every time a lead failed, every time I was happy, or sad, or lonely. Every single moment of every single day, I ached for home, for family, for this ship, this crew." Her voice broke as she began to sob uncontrollably, her fist beating against Silas massive chest, "How could....you...do that...to me?" She tried to speak between sobs, "Make me...feel...that and just....I hate you!...I hate....all...of you. I hate...you for aban...doning me.... I hate you....for making....me feel...home...I hate.... You for... making me....love all...of you. How could....you?" her pounding fists began to slow and her shoulders drooped. Her voice grew soft but with the complete silence it was still loud enough for them all to hear her. "Why do I have to love all of you?" She slumped and Silas quickly caught her up in his arms. Her eyes were closed and for a moment Owen's heart stopped in fear. Then Sean stepped forward, did whatever he did, and nodded as Sang curled into Silas chest.

"Exhaustion caught up with her, she's fine," He said. "Why don't we make up a little bed for her?" The crew gathered some large leaves so she wouldn't be laying on the sand and Silas laid her down. She gave a soft sigh and turned to her side, one hand tucked under her head. Kota turned to Owen.

"Did ye mean it? What ye said?"

Owen nodded, "Yes Mister Lee. She is free to stay, if she so chooses. It is clear that putting her off the ship was a mistake, and I shan't repeat it."

Kota nodded and turned to the others, "Good. I think we needs must speak with Sang and ask 'er to clarify what she said. Are we agreed to the course of action previously discussed?" There was a great deal of muttering and fidgeting but eventually a chorus of "Aye" went up. Owen breathed a sigh of relief. They wouldn't be trouble free, no relationship was, but at least they were all agreed to the same goal. Owen also noticed that there seemed to be a more relaxed air around his crew now that Miss Sorenson was back, even if they didn't know if she would stay. Owen hoped, for their sake as well as his own, that she would be agreeable to their plan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

D shakes her head at the update. Evil obviously returned in the middle of the night and played around in her story. Left a note about going to visit Miss Inspiration in some story called knockout. Something about needing to cause havoc for some other poor girl. Well, guess this had to happen but it's short, too short, means another update will be required soon. 

"I can't believe he called her love!" Smexy says from the recliner where she's reading the latest White Dove update. D rolls her eyes.

"You know he doesn't mean it, Smexy." D calls to her. Smexy can be a bit melodramatic when it comes to Cliff. 

"I know," Smexy huffs, " but does he have to call her that, and flirt with her. You know someday Evil is going to make him pay for all this." 

"I'm sure he will dear," D says as she turns back to her computer. She doesn't have time for Smexy's relationship drama, she has a pirate relationship drama to deal with first.