The Arena: Day Three - Part One

Start from the beginning

‘’ What do you mean?’’ I ask, hoping he isn’t insinuating what I think he is.

‘’ I dunno, it’s just I’ve never been one for romances in the Hunger Games, they are a stupid idea because only one of the pair would survive – and that’s if circumstances allow. But I guess this is different, because two can leave the arena...’’

Oh God. No. Please no. Please.

‘’ Stitch, I-‘’ I begin but he cuts me off.

‘’ No, wait. Can I just say something?’’

Reluctantly, I nod.

‘’ I have never been with a girl, heck I’ve never even kissed a girl! Why don’t we just try it? We might like each other.’’ He suggests and I feel as though I’ve been punched in the gut, why is he doing this?

‘’ I’m sorry Stitch, but-‘’ I begin.

‘’ Please.’’ He pleads. ‘’ Please, I really like you.’’

‘’ I’m sorry, there’s someone else. I have a boyfriend at home.’’ I explain, trying to sound as convincing as I can so he’ll believe it to be the truth. Sometimes white lies are better than the truth.

‘’ You’re lying.’’ He retorts, there is anger in his tone. ‘’ YOU’RE LYING!’’

‘’ Shh!’’ I order as he screams. ‘’ I’m not lying, I think you’re very good looking, I just don’t want to cheat on my boyfriend.’’

‘’ I don’t believe you.’’ He spits angrily, stopping as we walk and turning to face me.

‘’ I’m not lying. I would kiss you otherwise.’’ I lie; he is really beginning to scare me. I feel really uncomfortable in his presence. I have no choice though.

He continues walking and I follow. What the hell was that?! What’s wrong with him? Where did that even come from? I watch him caressing the knife in his grip as he walks. He stares at it and then to me, I pretend not to notice.

Oh my God! He wouldn’t kill me would he? No. We’re partners. He’d die too.

‘’ You know I’ve thought about suicide...No girls want me. All guys mock me. I’ve tried before. Max talked me out of it. But what do I really have to live for if we do get out of this? A shitty life alone? I don’t like the sound of that.’’

‘’ You won’t be alone forever. You’ll meet someone, there’s plenty of fish in the sea.’’ I say with a smile containing so much fear I’m sure he can tell it is fake.

‘’ Yeah but out of those fish, only one is suited to me. Do you understand how hard it is to find that person?’’

I nod, unsure of what else to say or do.

‘’ What’s your boyfriend’s name?’’ He questions.

I falter. ‘’ Eric.’’

‘’ I knew it!’’ He roars, drawing his knife and holding it towards me. I know he is not stronger than me, or faster but there is not much I can do to him. If I fight and kill him, I die. If I don’t fight then he’ll kill me. My options are quite limited.

Before he can say another word, I place my arm on his face and pull him close to me. My lips lock around his and I hear his dagger fall to the floor. He places both his hands on my ass and lifts me towards him. I try to fight the urge to recoil and wrap my arms around him. He leads the kiss; a lot more passionately than me and more fierce, I am more timid and reluctant. He doesn’t see this of course.