Chapter 16 - Prom Part 2

I shoved two canapés into my mouth and took in the taste of cream cheese, closing my eyes as I did so. Dustin noticed my gesture and chuckled, removing a crumb of food from my lips with his finger – the sudden intimation startled me in a daze, rooting me to the floor. I gawked at him as though as he had cornstalks growing out of his ears. Little lines fanned around his eyes as he passed one infectious beam at me and the next second he was shooting off towards the dance floor, pulling me alongside him. I stumbled and almost fell over due to the heels but his strong arms gripped my waist once again and pulled me up. The act had wedged Veronica's attention and from the corner of my eyes, I could feel her ferocious gaze scorching down my back.

"May I have this dance?" he asked me as Thinking Out Loud started blasting from the boom boxes.

I kept my hand on his and swiveled around swiftly, waltzing gently like my Dad had shown me on one occasion, and tried my best not to look like a first timer. He sniggered as he noticed my uneasiness and easily scooped me up in his arms, going in an orb and putting me down again. His touch was downright warm and supple. It took five more minutes of effort to learn how to glide smoothly and soon I danced as though it was the only way my body knew how to speak. Towards the end of the song, I was the more confident one, and Dustin, with a slight tilt to his head and a lopsided grin, indicated how good I had been. His expression spoke words.

When Troye Sivan's Youth started playing, I got interrupted by Kirstin and Kane. Turned out they were heavily intoxicated, with Kirstin grumbling how much she needed to pee. Dustin and I lead her to the washroom half of her weight laden on our shoulders, and I noticed Dustin was enjoying this more than I did. Kirstin threw up a little on the basin and slurred that it mitigated the stomach ache.

"You can't drink anymore," I held up my finger at Kane and Kirstin to prove my point.

"I want to dance," Kirstin spoke like a baby.

"Yeah, you can do that," I told her, but no more drinks."

"May the force be with you," Dustin chuckled and I frowned at him, unable to fathom what that was for.

"Countin' in it," Kane garbled and attempted to rise from his seat but fell immediately on his knees.

"Haha, you get it now?" Dustin laughed, "Why they needed the luck?"

I nodded, unable to hold in my laughter. For some strange reason, I felt happy. Euphoric. Kane guffawed too, slaphappy.

"Look who do we have here," Veronica popped his head into our space and I couldn't help but cringe as I saw her minion, Bianca striding down her footsteps. Like master, like slave. "What's up pretty sister?" she made puppy dog eyes, "You look pretty, I must say. And a hot date."

"Thank you, maybe?" I narrowed my eyes at her, utterly flummoxed by the sudden so-very-fake sweet behaviors. Did a raccoon get stuck up her ass or something?

"Hi, Kirstin. You look okay, I like the color of your dress, but uh it looks way too discounted for my taste. But yeah, nice choice."

Kirstin forced a smile, "That's exactly how an untaught but nouve au riche woman speaks like. Thank you so much, Veronica. You look pretty in that Versace dress anyways. I wonder how much you paid its previous owner?"

"Good vibes, people," Dustin maintained a straight face as he poked Veronica and I from Veronica, which went unnoticed by Veronica.

"Excuse me? I was just trying to be nice you people, but guess some fame whores aren't just worth it."

"I know, right?" Bianca nodded in agreement.

"Look who are talking," It was Kane, and it looked like as if he was in his full senses now even though he was trashed drank. It was so cute to see him rooting for his girlfriend, and I could feel the pride radiating off my smile. These were the best people ever, really.