Chapter 14

My house was an ecru blur behind the rain bathed window of Dustin's car. As I jumped out, I could feel the arctic drops of rain piercing my very bones, chilling me down to the crux. He didn't drive away, but rather waited for me to come out of my dreamy reverie while I closed my eyes and faced the mackerel clouds, feeling the earthy sensation of the downpour reverberate back memories from the past. The bullied, painful memories. Times of being insulted by Veronica, thrown out of parties, made fun of, called the duff. Moments of being vulnerable to suicide provoking thoughts. I've fought back feelings by biting hard down on lips, endured the persecuting internal dispute caused by the maltreatment. But now...

Now, I finally could fight back with strength, with powers. I had something which Veronica could've never imagined of. I could take revenge; I could harass her and her friends in public like they'd done to me million times before. I could throw her out of prom like she'd thrown me out of Emmett's birthday party with a ploy. I could throw her out in the woods at midnight and lock her to a tree the way she'd done two years ago on Halloween, and I could ruin her thousand dollar prom dress just within a moment before.

I could.

But what did I choose?

Save a pre apocalyptic world from the hands of a bunch of diabolical artificial intelligence system. Save Veronica and her friends from dying. But I was saving myself too. Touché.

"Are you okay?" Dustin's voice was barely a whisper.

I looked up to him and decided to ask what had been throbbing in my mind for a long time. "Can you do me a favor?"

"Sure thing," he answered without thinking.

"Wait a second," I told him and rushed into the house.

Dustin's POV:

It took her five minutes to come back, In the meanwhile, the downpour decelerated to a feeble drizzle, carrying the faint scent of rain rinsed earth. An old song was playing on the radio; I recognized it as being Heart of Glass by Blondie. I've heard a couple of songs by the singer; she had a fantastically piercing and attractive voice at the same time, no wonder why my Mom had written down Blondie's lyrics on her diary.

In between

What I find is pleasing and I'm feeling fine

Love is so confusing there's no peace of mind

If I fear I'm losing you it's just no good

You teasing like you do

I could so relate.

"There we are," Anastasia' voice was partly a shrill, and partly just an energized giggle of a ten year old girl. In the darkness I formed out two silhouettes, one of a preteen boy I had never seen before. He had the same soulful eyes as Anastasia's, crooked freckled nose, and the same curious gaze I got when I first told her I was half alien. His eyes traveled around my car, surprise taking its place and a small smile hovering at the corner of his lips.

"Get in the back," she shoved him inside, "Dustin, I hope you don't mind being the chauffeur."

I chuckled a little, her smile refreshing my battered day, "Aye aye, Ma'am. Is this the second person born from the concoction of your Mom's ovary and your Dad's sperm?"

"Unfortunately, yes," she deadpanned, "Except the fact that one chromosome is in his body is a little smaller than mine which makes him a dimwit."

"You mean Y? That's pretty sexist."

"Hashtag whatever. Hashtag, off to Imagines' World. Hashtag start driving chauffeur."

"That sounds lame," I mumbled, "Anyways nice to meet you, young man. I hope you tell your sister that trespassing is a felony."