Chapter 12

Author's Rant: So I'm pretty much sorry for the late and short update but I just couldn't escape what had happened to me these days. Many people in a restaurant were taken as hostages by some religious militants in my neighbourhood, and as many as 22 people were killed, 40 more injured. A friend of mine who happened to be one of the hostages, was killed by them who slashed her throat with a sword or knife. I'm so traumatized, I had sleepless nights. 

I blinked at him in disbelief for two solid seconds. Was he kidding me?

"Mr. Green, I'm afraid I have to leave," I told him but his lips came crashing down on mine before I could pull away. Not innocent, just teasing and uncomfortable, making me feel iniquitous about myself. He ran his fingers down my spine and pulled me closer, urging his lips into quick, unfamiliar patterns. It felt sloppy and there was a strong stale smell of wine that intermingled with our breath. No, this was wrong. I pushed him away, looking at him with daggers shooting out of my eyes.

"You owe me an explanation," I hissed at him, pursing my lips.

"Oh, honey, you gotta have some fun in life sometimes. Everything is not serious."

***

"You're late," Dustin pointed at me, an abstract shadow settled on his face, "I don't care how much of a rough day you've had or any of your bullshits you think you can get away with by blabbering with that pretty mouth of yours. Do you even remember why did you go there? To get us some confidential files, not screenshots of some random frigging worthless office files. And particularly not to end up smooching Kevin Green at some fancy, romantic restaurant."

Oooh, so you are jealous..

"Erm, I believe I sent you the files with X labeled on them. And Kevin Green was drunk, apparently he had no idea what he was doing and passed out immediately," I squared my shoulders, "And yeah I have had a pretty hectic day, you might don't want to get yourself in trouble by worsening my mood."

"Excuse me?" he narrowed his eyes at me, "We sent you for one frigging job and you couldn't do it properly! And what do you think you can do to me?"

"I didn't sign up this so I'd have to hear bossy craps coming out of your mouth! Like dude, okay, I am human, and who knew that Kevin Green would turn out to –,"

Wait, did he actually find out who I was? I glanced at Dustin, my face fixed in lines of fretfulness, my throat closing from the deliberation.

"We gave you one frigging job and you ruined it! I also believe I had told you to stick a recorder in his room?" Dustin growled.

"Yes, I did. There was nothing suspicious to inform you of."

"I doubt your abilities now," he told me, and I could already feel painful words crowding in my throat. Then why did you cajole me into joining you?

I wiped away the tears that trickled down slowly from my eyes, focusing on my sneakers the whole time. I didn't want to look vulnerable in front of him. But I already looked like a crybaby.

"Get out of there," he quietly growled, emotions coasting in neutral, "I really don't your presence around me at the moment."

"I'm sorry," I muttered.

"Please, just. Get. Out. Of. Here."

"Should I go back to office tomorrow?" My voice was slightly incoherent.

"Yes, of course, otherwise how are you going to continue your romantic sessions with Kevin Green?" his voice was thick with sarcasm.

"Dustin, I think she's had enough for the day," Nina spoke up for me, "Anna, go home and take some rest. We'll plan later what to do next. And yes, it is not verified yet if Kevin Green actually knows who you are, but be careful, and try to find out his files that contain information about their latest mission."

I nodded.

***

I shoved the books into my backpack and dawdled down the hallway, rubbing my eyes from weariness. I couldn't sleep the previous night shedding tears as Dustin's words had come flashing back into my mind, shrouding me in a throbbing sensation. There was a candlelight held by our sorority because one of the senior sisters who had joined university last year was engaged to her boyfriend. We cheered for her, passing down individual felicitations, and presenting flowers. She showed us the engagement ring, a sparkling diamond placed on a smooth curved ring of platinum with the couple's shipnames beautifully carved on the back. The short moment of celebration actually made me forget my concerns for the day.

But my happiness wouldn't last since there was Veronica and Ethan Parker.

"Hey," it was Ethan, his hair skillfully sculpted into tousles, his eyes a sleek blue. He bites his lips a lot while speaking, which makes him more appealing.

"Hi," I smiled at him awkwardly and waved.

"So I heard what you said about me there," his face was grave, "I thought I was wrong about you and we could be friends again, but if you really had to backbite about me, I wish you'd done it on my face instead."

"Umm, Ethan, I'm afraid you're misunderstood. It's - It's not what is seems like. I didn't mean to – it was a slip of the tongue. Veronica was being a bitch as usual."

"So you're blaming others, now, wow. I always thought you were impeccable. I'm sorry Anastasia, but my ideas about you were very wrong."

'Ethan, it's not what it seems like. Veronica told me you were taking her to prom, and well, I said you were being an asshole for taking her to prom. I didn't know she lied to trap me like that."

His expression changed for a moment as if he believed me, but then it turned sober again. "I hope you're not lying. I don't think you're lying though, but – I don't know, okay? It's too complicated."

"Well then, make it uncomplicated."

"I can't, you don't know what I'm going through now."

"You neither."

"So I guess we kinda have like our own problems now."

I sighed and thumped my hands on Ethan's back, "Yeah, and that is called life."

I took the bus after school to office and it started to pour while I entered Kevin's office. He wasn't there yet, so I took a good look at his computer which was password protected. If I had anyone to hack into the system, I could easily lay my hands on the confidential files. I hastily retreated as I heard footsteps padding on the carpet; Kevin Green entered the room and told me, "We need to talk."

Hope you guys liked it and please vote and don't forget to comment! And please pray for the departed souls :(