Chapter 11

I woke up in a hospital bed. A mask was wrapped around my mouth, and a beeping noise was right in my ear.
'Wait, why am I in the hospital wing?' I asked myself.
I ripped the mask off my face, and took a deep breath. Nobody was in the room I was in. Quickly, the door shot open and in walked Doctor Ashlar. He didn't seem to notice me so I spoke.
"Doctor, why am I here?" My voice was hoarse and scratchy. He jumped and dropped the tray he was holding.
"L... Lady America. You shouldn't be awake. How did you wake up?" He rushed over to me and checked my vitals.
"I don't know. I just woke up and that mask was on my face so I tore it off." I said pointing to the plastic mask on the ground.
"Do you remember anything from when you passed out?" So that's why I am here. I try to think back to that day in the meeting. I remember Aspen telling me something about Carolina and the rebels, but not much more.
"N...no not really." He shook his head and left the room. I placed my hand on my stomach. One question was going through my mind. 'How long was I asleep?'
Just as I started to doze off, the door jolted open again. In came Doctor Ashlar with other nurses behind him. They were all rushing around the room, not paying attention to me. I cleared my throat.
"Oh my! Lady America! You're awake!" The nurses came around me and checked all the machines and tubes that I was hooked up to. "Miss, we didn't expect you to be awake so soon," one maid, Mitzy, said to me. "I'll go get Doctor Ashlar,"she said, scurrying out. Seconds later Ashlar ran through the door, Maxon right behind him.
"Oh my god! America, don't ever leave me again, do you hear me! You can't! I care about you too much. I was so worried, please never leave me again." He was by my side, holding my face in his hands, planting kisses all over. The only thing I could say was 'okay'.
"Maxon how long was I asleep? What happened to me?" My mind was running a-mile-a-minute, while the world seemed to slow down.
"You've been asleep for eight hours, darling. They said that you fainted because of Carolina." Tears glistened in his eyes as he looked down. Why was he so upset?
"Maxon why are you so upset?" He looked up to me, his eyes meeting mine. I started getting light-headed and there was a throbbing feeling in my arm. Everything went black.
~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~
"... you need to understand that she'll want to go see her brother, Son." As I regained consciousness, snippets of people's conversations were making their way to my ears. "But father it'll be to hard for her. She loved her family dearly, and I want to be with her through it all. We can just bring Gerad here."
Maxon. Just the sound of his voice made me feel safe, at home. But what was he talking about?
I open my eyes and look around me. I was in my room, but not the queen's suit. I was in my old room from the Selection. And what did he mean, just bring Gerad here? What was wrong with Gerad. I reached over to my left hand and reached for my ring. But there was nothing there. Not the beautiful gold band with the green and purple stone. It wasn't on my finger. Where could it be? Maxon must have taken it off.
I saw the door nob turn and pretended to be asleep. I felt someone come sit beside me. Their hand gently stroked my face, and pushed some hair out from my eyes. My eyes fluttered open.
"America! You're awake! Ohmygod don't you ever leave me again!" Maxon wrapped his arms around me and shook me.
"Maxon, slow down. You're hurting me." And he really was. There was a pain in the crease of my arm. "Sorry America. I'm just so happy you're awake. After the news, nobody knew if you would wake up or not." He was crying. Maxon never cried. At least not in front of people.
"Maxon why was I asleep in the first place?" His face fell and a sad look crossed it.
"Um.. America, I know you'll be hurt by this news and I understand that, but please don't leave me again. I'm begging you," I nodded, but I was still confused.
"America, the rebels are active again. And they won't stop until they get what they want, the monarchy. Anyways, there was a fire that burned almost seventy-five percent of Carolina, and only Gerad survived ." There were tears running down his face. Part of me felt like it was ripped in half and the other was being shredded in a shredder. May, my beautiful, loving compassionate sister was gone and I would never get her back. I would never smell my dad's cologne again, or see him coming out of his studio with paint in his hair. I would never sing with mom again, or hear her humming around the house.
"What about Kenna and Kota and James and Astrid?" It only took one shake of his head to know he was gone.
I'll now never get to even see Astra, and Kenna and James would never be able to see their little girl grow up. Kota wouldn't ever be able to do what he loves anymore. He won't ever get married or become a Two or have a family.
Part of my life was gone, and only two pieces were left.
"Where's Gerad?" Maxon looked at me and gave a weak smile. "He's at The Children's Mirical Hospital in Fennly."
My response was quick.
"I want to see him."
~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~
Wow that really took me a long time to write. That sorta made me cry, writing all those things about her family. But what will happen to Gerad? DUUM DUUUM DUUUUUUUMMMM! Stay weird.
~triz