Why Not?

~Uh... this is set in the 20's (the unreal and stereotypey ones), so enjoy~

"Oi, oi, oi!" I heard Cher's voice. "Ya ready, kitty-cats? Leggo, leggo, the customers are waiting!"

Cher was our Momma, basically. She scheduled, directed and managed our performances, collected the money for our work and other stuff. She always wears bright red lipstick and draws in her eyebrows like little commas, matching her jet-black hair. Her shawl reminded me of my grandma - green with red peonies, worn out, probably reeking of hibiscus tea.

Girls chattered happily, putting on powder and lipstick. I looked in the mirror in front of me. A beautiful girl was staring back at me. Neat and wavy short hair, held in place by a sequined strip with an enormous ostrich feather tucked in. A sequined corset and a puffy skirt made from the same fake feathers accentuated my figure nicely. Everything was perfect and ready for the performance. But...

Something was off. I felt... empty. I've been doing this kind of thing for at least a few years now and never have I ever felt like this before. Was this because I son't have anyone in this city? My parents live across the country and my last significant other left me a year ago.

And the girls joyfully shared their sex stories with each other. Yeah, that made me jealous, I admit. So-

"Okay, kitty-cats, the show is on!" Cher interrupted my trail of thoughts. I stood up and quietly walked to the stage entrance. I heard the murmurs of the audience, the occasional laughter of the slightly drunken men, the uncomfortable yet playful giggles of young women.

I sighed. Yeah, I need to smile. This is what I'm supposed to do. To entertain them, make them happy, take their concerns away.

I enter the stage.

The crowd cheers for us. We're their happiness. I see the many smiles of tired men, the slightly jealous looks of girls. My heart filled with confidence. This is what I love to do, this is what I'm good at.

Cher put on the music.

The slow sax solo started, gradually building up the tempo and a viola joined in. I smiled and took the hands of two girls beside me. We linked, made a connection, and started the flowy, sparky dance.

As the music continued, I began looking through the crowd as usual. Most men enjoyed a supposed smile at them. I never focused on anybody and looked in the general direction, but nevertheless their faces brightened up, and I live for that happy expression.

But one man wasn't like the others. He looked young, but his hair was already going gray. His bright blue eyes were clearly staring at me. I smiled at him as per usual, but was met with a smirk. Did he not just come for the performance?

I decided not to bother much and gave myself to the dance. When the last few notes of the song faded out, the audience applauded and cheered. I smiled even wider.

Cher came out onto the stage and thanked the crowd for coming. We all made a curtsy and, waving, exited the stage.

After all of us showered, Cher told me to stay and clean up. I groaned, but obeyed - I was getting payed for this too, anyway.

The cleanup took longer, than I expected. Cher gave me the keys to the cabaret and lovingly patted me on the head before exiting the building.

I finished and took my things, turned off all the lights. Suddenly, I heard a knock on the door. Who knocks in a cabaret?

"Come in," I answered.

The door creaked open, revealing the man from before. But he no longer looked like a casanova, but, rather, like a father. 'Maybe, he's married,' O tought to myself, 'and just wants an affair.'

"Hey, there," the man greeted me in an unexpectedly pleasant voice.

"Hello," I replied, "We're already closed, so come tomorrow if you need any of our-"

"Oh, I didn't come for that," he interrupted me, closing the door behind him, "I'm Sean."

"Nice to meet you, Sean," I nodded, stepping away.

"Please don'tbe scared," the man said, concerned. "I don't want to hurt you. It's just that... I took a liking to you."

"Oh, I understand," I reassured him, "As I said, my services-"

"I DIDN'T COME HERE FOR A PROSTITUTE!" He exclaimed, clearly frustrated.

A silence fell. After a few seconds, I said:

"I- We're not allowed relationships."

Sean was a bit shocked.

"So wait, that wasn't a no?"

I thought about it. Well, he seems like a nice guy, anyway. Not for the prostitution, huh... we can work with that, I guess. He's attractive. And judging by his clothes, he can feed and support himself quite well. I won't tell Cher, or if she finds out, I'll say it's for money. But in that case, I'llhave to give her a part... but I'm sure I can do that without starving myself. So...

"Um..." Sean broke the silence. "Wanna go out? Just to try it."

"I'll get to know you better that way," I thought out loud, "So there's that..."

I stopped talking and finally made up my mind. I turned to Sean and, looking him straight in the eyes, said:

"Why the hell not."