A Doll Collection and Child's Play

5 years later: not in Lacey's pov

My mom always had a good eye for when it came to buying things at yard sales. She loved looking at people's old junk and buying something that seemed to have special meaning to them. Said that it had history or character, or something like that. Her siser had called earlier today and informed her about a new yard sale just down the road from us. Naturally, mom just had to check it out.

When I got out of the car, I saw that the man's yard was filled with stuff, from clothes to chairs. Mom immidiately went up to the man to find out the price ranges. Her face became one of shock. When they were done talking, mom came back over to me.

"So what are you getting?" I asked her. That's when I noticed her saddened face. "What's wrong?"

She was hesitant. "He lost his daughter." She paused. "She ran away five years ago and never came back."

I fiddled with music box that I held in my hand. His daughter ran away? People actually do that?

"He said that everything here was her's, and he can't stand knowing it's here and she isn't anymore."

I was quiet. "Oh."

"He said that she loved to collect dolls" Mom walked over to a table that had a dollhouse and a bunch of dolls surrounding it. "He'd like to keep them, but he finds them to creepy to keep arround, and seeing them would be a constent reminder that she's not coming home." She sighed, running her fingertips over one of the dolls silky dress.

"If she loved them so much, why didn't she take them with her?" I asked.

"When you run away, you usually take only one thing that means the most to you. Her dolls probably didn't have sentimental value. At least, not as much as something else."

I picked up one of the dolls. Her violet glass eyes stared at me, unblinking. Her hair was a dark shade of brown, with soft curls. Her dress was black and white and similar to that of Audrey Hepburn's in My Fair Lady. I sat it back down and went on to the next doll. 

"They're free," said mom.

I furrowed my brows. "Hmm? What is?"

Mom picked up the doll that I had sat down. "The dolls.... And the dollhouse."

"Oh," I simply stated.

Mom brushed her fingers over the dolls soft hair. "Maybe we should give them a new home?"

I laughed at that. "Mom, they're dolls, not puppies and kittens."

She pouted and held the doll up to my face, making the doll dance in the air. In a little voice mom said, "Oh, please, Caitlin! Take me home with you. I tired of being cooped up in a dusty old box."

I took the doll from mom and sat it back on the table. "Very funny. And I don't play with dolls, so they'd just stay cooped up in dusty old boxes anyway."

"Pleeeassse," mom continued pouting.

I headed to the car. "You can get them if you want, but they are not having a single string of hair in my bedroom." I opened the passenger side of the car door and got in, waiting for mom.

She came back, followed by the man. Mom held a box in her arms while the man was carrying the dollhouse. The man looked relived as he set the house in the trunk. Mom put in the box f dolls and shut the trunk door and proceeded to the driver's seat.

"Ready to go home?" she asked.

"Am I ever."

Night came all too soon, in my opinion. Mom had sat up her newly "purchased" dolls and dollhouse in the spare room, not sure where else to put it.

I put in my horror movie of choice, Child's Play, and popped a bag of popcorn. Half way through the movie a creeking sound caught my attention.

"Chuckie?" I asked in a shaky voice.

A quiet giggle and shuffling was my reply.

I turned the tv off with the remote. Lookig around my bed, I couldn't see anything. Too dark. The light was on the other side of the room. Taking a deep breath, I leaped from my bed and landed on the carpeted floor with a soft thud. I took two large steps to the light switch and flipped it up.

There was a lump on my bed, hidden under the sheet, moving. I tired to scream, but couldn't find my voice. I bent down, picking up my skateboard, and went closer to the lump. Using my board, I lifted up the sheet, only to reveal a pocelain face and dusty-rose ruffled dress. Blond hair curled slightly and wide blue eyes. The doll lay unmoving, as if it were my imagination earlier. I looked at the little card hand from her arm. Lacey.

"Well Lacey, how did you get in here?"

I picked up the doll and took her back to the spare room. Spoting the dollhouse, I took her over and sat her in one of the cases. A picture caught my eye. It was the man from the yard sale, and a girl. A girl that looked exactly like the Lacey doll.

I jumped as the door behind me slammed shut. I turned my body around and starred wide-eyed at the dolls standing there. Unfriendly smiles gracing their petite faces. The one in the purple velvet dress came up to me. I was in too much of a shock to do anything.

"Wanna play?" she asked in a haunting muscial voice.

A/N: Well, it's over. This isn't really a chapter, as you probably already know. It's more of an epilogue, but whatever. Hope you enjoyed the story, and if not, then why are you here, lol :) BAAM and Stalked will be updated sometime between now and this weekend.