Written With Hearts - Chapter Nine

Yate....

"It's no point sulking, you're not coming!" Out of breath, I carry another load of turf out to the truck. Ray is fucked off because I'm taking Abby to Birmingham and not him. The decision was not a hard one. Abby is prettier, smells nicer, and hopefully farts a lot less.

"I can't believe you've chosen a bird over me," Ray huffs, throwing another roll of turf onto the back of the truck. "My dick could've had real good fun with all those Brum babes!" he moans.

I actually find myself cringing at his words. "On this occasion, bud. Your dick will just have to stand down." Swiping the perspiration from my head, I smirk across at him.

"I thought I was your friend? I thought my dick was your friend?" His eyes are bulging with a goofy smile spanning the width of his unshaven face.

I laugh, shaking my head. "I'm sure you and your dick will get over it, just fine."

Walking away from Ray, he quickly catches me up. "So what has this bird got that I don't?" He thinks for just a second before tilting his head with a crude grin. "Besides a vagina, I mean."

Picking up a spade and broom, I glance sideways at him. "Uh, let me see. A nice personality?" I throw a sarcastic grin his way.

Ray rolls his eyes, his mouth tightly unimpressed. "Very fucking funny. Seriously, why are you taking her?"

I don't even look at him as I chuck the spade and broom into the truck and make my way into the driver's side. As I'm getting in behind the wheel, he's getting into the passenger side. My lack of response is bugging the fuck out of Ray, so he reminds me that he's still waiting for an answer with a thump to my arm and raised brows. I sigh, because he's now bugging the fuck out of me. "I just wanted to take her, that's why." I shrug, starting up the truck.

Ray remains quiet for a few minutes, obviously thinking about what I've just said. Placing his foot up on the dashboard, he breaks his silence. "You want to fuck her, don't you?"

My hands tighten on the steering wheel, incensed by his bang out of order question. "Do you always have to talk like such a wanker?" I ask, angrily focusing on the busy traffic in front of me.

Ray laughs loudly, nudging me really hard in the arm. "I knew it! You do!" The smugness in his voice is almost as smug as his laugh.

I switch on the radio, not wanting to take this conversation any further. Maroon 5 is soon drowning out the laughter of my smug asshole of a friend. Ray leans forward, lowering the music back down. "You like her, don't you?" Every trace of smugness has quickly gone from him, his voice now serious.

Giving him just a quick sideways glance, I then turn my attention back on the road, knowing that I'll now reply to Ray because he's stopped messing around. "I do, which is why I want to take her," I flatly tell him.

"But you've not known her long," Rays states, sounding bothered by the fact that I've not known Abby for a significant length of time.

I snort at his reply. I couldn't give two shits what he thinks. I've asked Abby because I want to get to know her. I'd like to spend some quality time with her, so we can find out more about one another. I don't see anything wrong with that. Anyway, it's not like I'm going with her completely blind. After her finally accepting my friend request on Facebook, we have messaged each other back and forth all week. We may not know each other really well, but I know Abby well enough to know that I have made the right decision in asking her to come with me to Birmingham. If I'm honest, that decision was one that I'd not really given much thought to. I'd sent her the friend request about a week after the Green Acres signing. When she didn't accept it straight away, I thought she was never going to. When I got the notification that she had accepted it, I was over the fucking moon. Once we got chatting, I knew that I needed to see her again. So I just threw the Birmingham thing in the air, hoping that she'd catch it, and she did.