"Here you lazy bum."

I stared at my blank phone screen as I waited for it to light up signaling a new message. Sure I had only sent the text two minutes ago, but does it really take her that long to text back? Her fingers are so quick across a keyboard; doesn't that mean they should be quick across a keypad too?

I groaned, watching the minute hand on the wall clock move one spot over. A lot can happen in three minutes.

What if a burglar broke into her house? What if she tripped and broke her leg? What if the entire house caught fire and she was trapped? What if-

My phone vibrated in my hand as Lilly's name popped on the screen.

I grinned, eagerly unlocking my phone as my eyes scanned the screen.

I'm glad you're doing this guy's day thing today. I felt bad for hogging up all your time this week. :(

I rolled my eyes at the way she was able to feel guilty about things that were completely not her fault. I quickly typed a reply, my fingers moving rapidly over the screen.

It's totally okay. I like spending time with you. Why does it take you so long to reply?!

I drummed my fingers against the armrest as I waiting again for her to reply. I glanced up at the minute hand then back at my phone. This went on for quite some time until my phone blinked alive once again.

I don't want to get Carpal tunnel! It's a serious problem!

I chuckled, biting back a grin as I quickly typed a reply.

"Dustin!" Brad shouted.

I jumped, dropping my phone, along with the unfinished message, onto my lap. I looked up at Brad and Mike as they both stared back at me. Mike sat, leaned back against the couch with his feet propped up on the table while Brad stood with his arms crossed in front of me. Even in the dim lighting of Mike's basement I could see the scowl marked on his face. My eyes flickered between them, from Brad's irritated face to Mike's raised eyebrows.

"What?" I asked, completely dumbfounded, wondering when I became the focus point of this evening.

"Where the hell is your head today?" Brad shouted, leaning closer to me so I could smell the rancid scent of beer on his breath.

I looked past him at the coffee table where four open and finished bottles lay. Judging by the Pepsi Mike held in his hand, all of those bottles belonged to the extremely ticked off Brad.

"Sorry dude," I shrugged, tucking my phone into my pocket.

"Who were you on the phone with?" he asked, his eyes following my movement.

"Uh..." I trailed off, reluctant to bring up Lilly as I topic.

"You were talking to crazy book girl weren't you?" he said smugly, an unpleasant smirk replacing the scowl.

"Don't call her that," I said, the words coming out more threatening than I intended.

Brad whistled, "Getting a little touchy there, are we?"

My fingers clenched into a tight fist, my glare hardening as I turned up to look Brad in the eyes. He held up his hands in defense before walking over to where he was previously sitting on the couch. My eyes glazed over to Mike where he looked back at me with a questioning frown.

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but today is the last day of our little agreement," Brad smirked, popping open a fifth bottle and chugging it down like he hadn't eaten in days.

I sighed, "Listen, Brad. About the bet..."

"What about it?" he asked with a raised eyebrow. He let out a fake gasp. "Don't tell me she didn't fall for you yet? Don't tell me that the great and powerful Dustin Cooper hasn't cracked this stupid little bookworm yet?"