Treat You Better

I stand outside my room on the top floor at the run down motel I'm currently living in as the heavy rain pours down on me.

My small, nervous footsteps carry me across the concrete and I dig around my purse in search for my keycard.

A few men pass by giving me hungry looks as I find my key and I quickly slide it in the lock, slamming the green, wooden door behind me with my back pressed against it and eyes closed.

I sigh of relief escapes my lips and I jump at the sound of an all too familiar voice I dread hearing.

"Don't you slam that door, understand." I open my eyes quickly at the sound of Connor's stern voice.

His muscular, dark skinned body is sat on the living room couch, with a beer in one hand as his eyes are fixed on the small tv screen.

He turns his mean glare towards me and I realize I didn't answer back.

"Oh, uh, ye–"

He lifts his large hand up, signaling me to stop talking and I do exactly that.

"Why are you soaking wet?" He questions me as he turns his glare back to the static screen.

I walk closer to him and he shakes his head disapprovingly and I nod quickly, standing a few feet away from him.

"It was raining outside and I left the umbrella at–"

"Go take a shower, you smell like shit." His face cringes and waves his hand at me as if I'm an annoying fly.

I lower my head in embarrassment and walk faster when I hear Connor say "move".

I walk to our shared bedroom and set my purse inside the dresser on my side.
I'm not saying I don't trust him, but he stolen from me before because "a girl like me doesn't need money", his words.

I need money.

I start a hot shower and strip my clothes off of my body, closing the door behind me and locking it.

I walk in careful not to slip, and let the water run down my milk chocolate skin as a sigh of content releases.

I pull at my roots in frustration at everything that's going on in my life, which is pretty much only Connor.

I gave everything up to be with that man. My family, my job, my friends, my virginity, everything. Only because of three words.

I love you.

My lips start to tremble and I slowly sit down on the floor of the tub and bury my face in my knees.

I jolt up in shock when I hear loud banging on the bathroom door.

"Get the fuck out! You're running the water bill!" Connor continues to bang on the door and I scoot closer to the wall in fear.

Without thinking, I do the one thing I never done to him.

"Go away!" I raise my voice.

He can't do anything as long as the door is locked.

"May, if you don't open this door right now, I swear to god.." Connor says in a threatening tone.

I scoff at him and lift my head up and glare at the door.

"I'll open the door when I want to, you inconsiderate–"

Connor kicks open the door and walks quickly to me as my eyes widen.

I back away from him and start kicking around when I feel him grab me by the hair, pulling me out after shutting the water off.

"I asked you nicely to open the door and you didn't." He snickers.

He pulls me out with me screaming for help, but I know no one will. They never do. I scratch at his arms as my wet, naked body is dragged to the bed.

"Don't disrespect me little girl." He throws me on the bed before climbing on top of me and wraps his hand tightly around my throat.

"I love you."

I slowly lift my gaze to Conner who sits across from me as we eat the breakfast I cooked.

We both stare at each other before Connor gives me a "well" look.

"Aren't you going to say it back?"

I continue to stare at him before looking back down and eating my eggs carefully.

My throat feels like it's been choked with a heavy rope for years. My once smooth skin is now covered in scratches and hickeys, but not from love.

"Say it back!" Connor slams his rough hands on the small table causing me to jump slightly.

"No." I wheeze.

Connor cups his hands around his ear and pretends he didn't hear me correctly.

"I said, no." I stab my pancake harshly and stuff it in my mouth.

"Say it back or–"

"Or you'll what, Connor!" My eyes begin to water.

"You'll hit me again?! Is that it, huh? Cause if it is, then go ahead! I don't even care anymore." I mumble the last part.

Connors dark brown eyes glares at me, for no reason as usual, before he stands up and walks to the living room.

I cover my face with my hands and my shoulders shake as my cries are the only thing heard besides Connors footsteps.

"I'm leaving for a couple of days. You know the rules." Connor walks back in with his coat and the only car keys we have.

"Where are you going?" I already know the answer.

Every time he leaves for a couple of days or whatever the case might be, it's just to his lady friends.

"It's none of your business. Make sure to clean this up." He gestures to the plates we used this morning.

"Of course it's my business! I'm your girlfriend!" I stand up and throw my hands in exasperation.

Connor ignores me and walks out towards the front door, ready to leave.

Out of anger, I rush in front of him and put my body against the door before he can leave.

"Don't leave me here by myself, Connor." I look up to him with pleading eyes.

Connor acts as if I'm a ghost before shoving me out of the way with his forceful grip, and I fall on the floor behind him.

The door slams shut and I curl up into a ball on the carpeted floor, crying myself once again, to sleep.

**

Picture of May (Jasmine Brown) at the beginning btw but you can imagine her as whatever :)

Just to make it clear, the motel has two floors and they live on the top/second floor.

Idk why I keep making books, I need to stop but I just can't help myself.

Also, hi if you're new
You're pretty rad

Thank you for reading chapter one