Fresh Wounds

[The Next Day]

The annoying beep of an alarm is not the best thing to wake up to. It's especially annoying when you didn't sleep at all last night due to your head being filled with thoughts about your best friend being in danger. It's even more annoying when said friend hasn't responded to the many texts you have sent him.

I nearly break my clock when I slam my hand down onto the 'snooze' button. I hate that beep more than anything in my life, yet I need it to be able to wake up on time. I had set it after five hours of lying in the darkness of my room, knowing if I fell asleep I wouldn't wake up. I finally had fallen asleep around four am. It's seven now.

I half fall out of my bed and stumble to my closet. I change out of my pyjamas and into the clothes I have chosen to wear today, then I pull on my signature hoodie. I make my way to the bathroom to tend to my hair, slathering it in gel. It's funny, everyday I wake up with some strange bedhead fringe that many people would kill for.

After washing my hands I go to my bedroom again and wander around gathering everything I need for school, homework, change of clothes for gym, extra hair gel and comb, phone, and lunch money. I'm not in the mood for finding something in my cupboards to eat today.

I then travel downstairs to make myself some breakfast, and some much needed coffee. While I'm eating I send Chase a text.

F : You awake?

C : I am now

F : Sorry :P

C : Its fiiine, what do you want? lol

F : Dustin's away

C : And?

F : Can I maybe eat lunch with you today?

F : I'm lonely :(

C : You're so dumb. Of course you can

F : Yaay! Thanks

C : I'll meet you outside by the track k? I'm gonna bring some friends too

F : Okay, ttyl

I ran a hand through my hair, at least I'm going to have someone to talk to today. I finished up my breakfast, chugged my coffee, then took my bag and began to head out the door. At the last second I turned around.

"MUM! I'm going to school now!" I shouted.

"Okay! I love you!" she yelled back.

"Love you too!" I called and then started my journey to school.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I arrived to the high school at a reasonable time today thankfully. Making my way to my locker I observed the people around me. I never really did this, and I wondered why. After thinking for a bit I realised that it was always because Dustin was here, and I always payed attention to him.

Why did I pay so much attention to Dustin?The answer that popped into my head made me stop dead in my tracks. Was it because I loved him?! I shook my head. No, that can't be it. I continue walking.