34. You're my Parabatai

Start from the beginning

Clary had been asked before Magnus and I took our vacation to create the new symbol. Four C's in a square standing for Council, Covenant, Clave, and Consul. The curvature of the each C held a symbol of one of the branches of Downworlders. A crescent moon for the wolves, a spell book for the warlocks, an elf arrow for the Fair Folk, and for the vampires, a star. Really. A star? I wait hundreds of years for Downworlders to become part of the Clave and the best she could come up with was a star. Oh well, it could've been worse.

There were dozens of Shadowhunters milling around the gates.

Many were shooting Jocelyn and Luke covert glances; a few were coming up to greet them, while others stood back looking curious. Jocelyn seemed to be keeping her calm with a certain amount of effort.

More Shadowhunters were coming up the path along the Gard Hill. I recognized the Lightwood, Maryse in the front, with Robert beside her. Isabelle, Alec, and Jace following. They were wearing white mourning clothes.

I had chosen a white lace long sleeved dress with mourning runes sewn into it that brushed the floor.

Jace broke away from the group and many peoples eyes followed him, many began whispering. Gossiping no doubt.

Clary pulled Jace to the side and they talked before we all walked into the place and sat together. Robert moved from the aisle to take the seat of the Inquisitor.

Basically they talked about the Endarkened and how it was going. They had sent an alive Endarkened to the Spiral Labyrinth to try and find a cure. But until then Shadowhunters must fight Shadowhunters.

"....six survived. Six children," Jia said and turned to Helen. "Helen Blackthorn, if you please, bring the witnesses out." I saw Helen nod and disappear through a side door. A moment later she returned; she was walking slowly now, and carefully, her hand on the back of a thin boy with a mop of wavy brown hair. Julian. He couldn't have been older than twelve. He was carrying a little boy, probably no older than three, with tangled brown curls. Following Julian was a girl of about ten, her hand firmly clasped in the hold a boy the same age. The girls hair was dark brown, but the boy had tangled black curls that nearly obscured his face. Fraternal twins.

After then came a girl who might have been eight or nine, her face round and very pale between brown braids. All of them looked terrified, except Helen, whose expression was a mixture of grief and anger.

I didn't blame her.

The misery in their eyes and faces made my heart hurt.

"Julian Blackthorn," said Jia Penhallow, and her voice was gentle. "Step forward, please."

Julian swallowed and nodded, handing the little boy he was holding to his older sister. He stepped forward, his eyes darting everywhere. He was looking for someone. His shoulders had just began to slump when another figure darted out onto the stage. A girl, also about twelve, with a tangle of dark blond hair, that hung down her shoulders. Julian seemed to relax when he saw her. She stood beside Helen. I recognized her as Emma.

"Julian," said Jia in the same gentle voice. "Would you do something for us? Would you take up the Mortal Sword?" Clary sat up straight and I felt myself grow defensive.

"They can't," she whispered. "He's just a kid-"

"He's the oldest of the children who escaped the Los Angeles Institute," Jace said under his breath. "They don't have a choice."

Julian nodded. "I'll take it."
Robert grabbed it and held if out. Julian took it and shuddered. Emma started forward but Helen caught her and pulled her back.

Jia knelt down and then began to ask him a series of questions. I heard him talk about how his brother, Mark had been taken, not turned due to his half Faerie blood. His father had been turned though.

"And my father, he was standing up, and his eyes were black too, and he started moving toward Mark like the rest of them, like he didn't even know him-" Julian's voice cracked, just as Emma wrenched herself free of Helen's grasp and hurtled forward, throwing herself between Julian and the Consul.

"Emma!" Helen said, stepping forward, but Jia held out her hand to keep her back.

"Leave him alone!" Emma shouted. She threw her arms out as if she could shield him. "You're torturing him! Leave him alone!"

"It's okay, Emma," Julian said. "They have to do it." I didn't mean to zone out but a memory forced its way into my head.

Flashback

"Roderick!" My ten year old self shouted. He turned to me. He too stood holding the Mortal Sword in front of the Clave. He smiled at me in a reassuring way but the pain was evident on his face.

We had killed three demons in front of Mundanes. One we were underage and two we did it in front of mortals. I ran forward and threw myself in front of him.

"Stop it! Question me! He's in pain!" I felt him place a hand on my shoulder. "Alice it's alright. I'm fine. Please go stand with gram," he whispered soothingly. I turned to him with tear filled eyes.

"But I can't leave you....you're my parabatai."

End of flashback

"I threw the knife at his heart. He just pulled it out like nothing. I know where the heart is. But I don't think you do!" Emma ran off and Clary jumped to her feet running after her. I sighed but followed. I wasn't good with kids, but I could relate to what she was feeling.

In other words time for some mushy heart to heart...just great.