Chapter 2: Old Habits

It was finally Monday and Regina couldn't wait to pick Roland up. The only thing she didn't want to do was see Robin. Her alarm clock rings, interrupting her sleep; she groans before rolling over and hitting the off button a few times, eventually shutting it off. She pulls back the covers and gets out of bed, walking towards the bathroom to get ready. Once she is showered and dressed, makeup and hair done to perfection, Regina goes downstairs to make herself breakfast.

She was lonely in her empty house, she missed having Roland here. She missed the good times her and Robin had here. Memories of Robin letting her sleep in while he made her breakfast in bed. Early morning cuddles quickly interrupted by Roland running in and jumping on their bed. They couldn't complain though, they both loved Roland more than life itself. Regina had always thought they'd have more kids, they had even tried to. But when Regina filed for the divorce that dream was soon crushed.

Regina had to pick Roland up at noon, as it was almost 11:30 she decided to walk to Robin's house which was just a block away. The weather was nice, sun shining in the humid heat. There was a slight breeze blowing her hair away from her face. She finally reached Robin's house and sighed before knocking on the door. The door immediately swings open, Roland must have been waiting for her. "Mommy!" Roland says throwing his arms around her legs. "Hey sweetie." Regina says happily. She watches Robin approaching and her heart beats fast in her chest. That happened every time she saw him no matter how hard she tried to control it. "Did you have fun?" She asks. Roland nods excitedly, "Yes! Can I stay a bit longer? Please mommy." Her son asks, his big brown eyes boring into hers. "I don't know Roland..." Regina says. "Please! Daddy said you can stay and play with us." Roland begs, Regina shoots Robin a glare. "Fine, but only for a little while." She finally gives in. Robin smiles to himself, he gets to spend the day with Regina.

Robin sits on the couch beside Regina, Roland lying across the both on them, his head resting on Regina's lap. They had been forced into watching Roland's favourite movie, "Finding Nemo", for about the one hundredth time. The movie just ended, "We should probably get going." Regina says and she starts getting up. "Shh!" Robin says. "Roland's asleep." She looks down at her son, fast asleep and runs her fingers through his curls. "Do you want to wake him?" Robin asks and Regina shakes her head no. "It's alright he can sleep for a bit, I'll take him up to bed." She responds. "It's alright, I got it." He says picking up Roland and walking him upstairs. Regina watches him go, he really was a great father to Roland.

When he returns they both sit on the couch, a comfortable distance apart from each other, sitting in an awkward silence. Robin's been dying to know one thing, if Regina was seeing any one. "So... Have you gone on any dates lately?" Robin asks trying to be casual. "Nope, you?" She answers honestly. Robin thinks, he could answer yes just to make her jealous or he could be honest and answer no. "Yes, actually." He says, wanting to see her reaction. "Oh really? Good for you." She says and they sit in an awkward silence for a few moments. Regina was sad to hear that, he had told her just before they got divorced that he would never get over her. Days and even months after he still continued to tell her that he loved her until eventually Robin gave up. "I thought you couldn't get over me." Regina says. He moves closer to her and looks into her eyes. "It seems it was easier than I thought." He says and her heart crumbles into pieces. That hurt her, she would get him back for it. "Really? It was easy to get over me? It only took you what, eight months to stop telling me you were in love with me?" Regina says slowly moving closer to him her hand now resting on his thigh.

"Ok, ok, I'm not seeing anyone." Robin finally caves. "I knew it!" Regina says pointing a finger at him. "You think you're so smart don't you." Robin says with a smirk. "Yes, I think I'm averagely smart." Regina responds. "Unlike you." She teases. "Ouch! What a come back!" Robin says sarcastically. "Oh shut up." Regina laughs, slapping his arm playfully. "Did you just slap me?" He asks, pretending to be totally offended. "Maybe." She smiles. "What are you going to do about it?" Regina winks, teasing him. She was playing with him, just like she used to and he couldn't take it anymore. Robin presses his lips to hers, causing a quiet gasp to escape Regina's mouth before she completely melted into it. It started slow, both becoming re-familiar with the others mouth then it became more passionate and desperate. Hands roamed all over the other bodies, Robin began to lie her down on the couch as he kissed her senseless. They both missed each other so much, they both knew this was bound to happen sometime. Regina missed his touch, it was so gentle and loving, like she was his most prized possession because in his eyes she was.

Regina's mind finally wandered away from the bliss of Robin's lips on hers. This is wrong, she thinks. We can't do this, it has to stop. "Robin." She says against his lips. He pulls back and looks down at her. "What is it?" He asks with concern. "We can't do this, I can't do this." Regina breathes, still catching her breath from the kissing. Robin moves off of her, a look of sadness on his face. "Why not Regina?" He asks. "Because I don't want to start something when I know it can't continue." She responds. "But why can't it?" Robin asks frustratedly. "Because." Is all she says. "That's not an answer." He argues.

Just when Regina was going to argue back she hears little footsteps coming down the stairs. She turns around to see Roland rubbing his eyes as he walks towards them. "Did you have a good nap?" Regina asks her son. Roland nods and crawls into her lap; hugging his arms around her neck, his head rested on her shoulder. "We should get going, see you next week Robin." Regina says standing up with Roland on her hip. "Ok I'll call you." Robin responds. He had to talk to her about this whole situation. He wanted her back and he was determined to get her back. "Please don't." Regina says, because she can't stand talking about this with him. "Bye Daddy!" Roland says waving over Regina's shoulder. He waves back, "Love you buddy. See you soon." Robin says.

Of course Regina would love for her and Robin to get back together. For her, for Roland especially, but she couldn't see it happening. There was too much they'd done to each other, said to each other, the fighting would never stop.