Chapter 1: Visiting

"Momma, I don't wanna go to daddy's." Roland complains as Regina crouches in front of him, doing up the zipper on his jacket. She sighs, "I'm sorry baby, but you have to. Daddy wants to see you too." Regina replies, now helping her five year old son into his tiny running shoes. "But it's no fun without you." Roland whines, pouting. "I'm sure it will be just as fun. Now, do you remember how to do this?" Regina asks, referring to his shoe laces that were undone. He shakes his head no. "Bunny ear, bunny ear, cross, loop, and pull." She says in a singsong voice, as she tied his shoe. "Now you try." Regina smiles. He nods and crouches on one knee as he begins trying to tie his shoe. "Bunny ear, bunny ear, cross, loop, and pull." Roland repeats. When he successfully ties his shoe, Roland looks up at her with the biggest smile on his face. "I did it!" He cheers excitedly, jumping up and down. "You did! Great job sweetie!" Regina says in awe that he was able to learn so quickly. She had shown him how yesterday and by today he was already able to do it on his own. Regina looked down at her watch, "Oh no. We are going to be late, we've gotta go." She says, picking Roland up and placing him on her hip as she walked out of her house; locking the front door behind her.

Within a few minutes Regina and Roland had arrived at their destination. Regina parked the car in the drive way then turned off the engine. She got out of the car, and opened the door to the back seat where her son was sitting. She unbuckled his seat belt and he stepped out of the car, taking her hand before approaching the front door. Roland jumps and presses the doorbell, waiting patiently for his father to open the door. Sure enough, within a few seconds the door swings open. "Daddy!" Roland says, jumping into his fathers arms. "Hey buddy!" He replies, almost stumbling backwards. Regina stands there awkwardly not knowing what to say. She feels as if she should at least say hi but doesn't want to engage in any sort of conversation. "Regina." Robin says with a nod of his head. "Robin." Regina replies, avoiding eye contact. "How about you go turn on cartoons, I have to speak with your mom for a moment." Robin says to his son, who nods excitedly and runs inside the house. Regina sighs, she had no interest in speaking with him. She just wanted to drop Roland off and go back home.

"Hey." Robin breathes, shutting the front door behind him. "Hi." Regina replies, uncertainly. "I have something to ask you." He says, finally looking into her eyes. Oh her eyes, her beautiful brown eyes Robin would always get lost in. He almost lost his train of thought just gazing into them. "Ask away." She sighs, bringing her gaze down to her hands as she nervously played with her fingers. She was always nervous around him. "I was wondering if I could have Roland for a few extra days." Robin asks, hesitantly. "No." Regina immediately says. "Why not?" He responds angrily. "Because I have things I planned to do with him." She argues. "Oh really? Like what?" He asks, rolling his eyes. "It's none of your business." Regina replies. "So you don't want him spending time with me." Robin assumes. "Of course I want you to be able to see him but you are just a little... Irresponsible." She says. "Irresponsible?" Robin asks, clearly offended. "Yes." She replies. "How?" He asks. "Well for one you never clean your house." Regina says with a look of disgust. "Yes I do." He argues and she rolls her eyes. "And what does that have to do with me not being able to see my son?" Robin asks, frustratedly. "Everything." She simply replies. "When we were married you never-" Regina begins to say but it quickly cut off by Robin's voice. "Oh here we go again." He sighs, running a hand through his dirty blond hair. "I don't want to here it, Regina. I just wanted to see my son but if the answer is no then fine. I'll see you on Monday when you pick him up." Robin says and Regina nods. "Tell Roland I say good bye and I love him." She says and watches him nod his head in agreement. She turns on her heel and walks back to her car. Robin watches Regina's every movement, secretly admiring what was once his. When she reaches her car, he opens the door to his house and walks to the living room to watch cartoons with his son.

Regina sighs as she walks into her empty house. She had done some grocery shopping before going home so it had gotten pretty late. She puts away the groceries and decides to skip dinner because she's too tired. Regina goes upstairs to her bedroom only reminded that it was once theirs, Robin and hers. She changes into pyjamas, washes her face and brushes her teeth before crawling into bed. She misses him, she misses her son. Every night she would tuck him in and give him a light kiss on his forehead, running her fingers through his mess of brown curly hair. Regina thinks about Robin too. She hated arguing with him. He got her so worked up about nothing and she hated him for that. A part of her also liked that about him. She had her regrets about their divorce but in the end she convinced herself it was for the best. The well being of her son. Regina didn't want him growing up in a house hold where all he heard was the yelling and insults Robin and Regina would call out at each other. It wasn't good for anyone.

Robin stares blankly at the ceiling, he had so many thoughts running through his mind. Most thoughts are about her. Regina. He loved her. He had vowed he would love her until death parts them. No matter what she had done he would never stop loving her. No matter how much they fought, what they said or did, he knew he would always love her. Robin hadn't slept properly in months. Every time he closed his eyes there was an image of her. It was always followed by sadness, knowing that he could not hold her, or tell her how much he loves her. This was not only hard on Robin but hard on Roland too. Both Robin and Regina hated seeing the sad look in his eyes when he asks his Mother to stay and play with him and Daddy. The answer was always no and Regina hated saying no to her sweet little boy. He was confused, he was only five and didn't quite understand why his parents didn't live together.

Regina and Robin both lie in their beds wide awake. Each thinking of the other. At first Regina thought she could never get over Robin. But over the past few months it became easier. She used to dream sweet dreams of their family and wake up in a fit of tears, knowing that was gone. She hadn't dreamed like that in a long time and she was grateful. She already felt guilty enough for being the one who forced the divorce on him. Robin never wanted this he wanted to work things out but in Regina's eyes there was no redemption for them. They were through and neither of them were happy about it.

Tonight was different for Regina. It was because she saw Robin. She had a conversation with him. The moment they locked eyes she knew that she would be thinking about him all night. His eyes were blue, a bright colour like an icy ocean that she could just drown in. She remembered the way he ran his fingers through his hair. Even when she was angry she was still paying attention to his every move, memorized by him. She remembered what it felt like when his fingers would tangle themselves in her dark hair. When she would lie with him on their couch, he would just take his time running his fingers through her thick locks, caressing her cheek and kissing her forehead every so often. A smile would tug and her lips and he would lean down and kiss it away.

Those were to good times when they loved each other. The memories that they wish they hadn't replaced with bad ones. There was still hope for new memories, Robin had hope.

This is a new book I'm starting let me know what you gust think... I might enter it in The Wattys 2016 but I'm not sure yet.. Anyways please vote and comment your opinions!
Thanks
-R😘