Chapter Twenty-one

Angelique knew she must trust Gabriel, but there was so much at stake here, and her faith was faltering

Angelique knew she must trust Gabriel, but there was so much at stake here, and her faith was faltering. She didn't want to lose Heaven Sent. It was all she had left, but if it could secure the loan, giving her the chance to raise the funds... 

Could she can save them both, Heaven Sent and the shelter?

There wasn't enough time to make a sound decision. The Judge had returned. She knew that woman had talked to John. Maybe they wouldn't accept a deal. After all, the shelter's property was what they needed. Heaven Sent wouldn't serve any purpose. 

As the Judge spoke, Angelique could feel the lump in her throat threatening her speech. 

"Have we come to any agreements, Counsel?" 

"The offer still stands," she heard Gabriel say.

She wanted to scream out, "No, I want to withdraw my offer!" but the blood pounding in her head and the dryness of her mouth made saying anything impossible. 

"Does your client accept this offer, Ms. Landis?" 

Angelique could feel her body go numb. 

"Yes, your Honor. With the condition that all funds including penalties are paid one month hence." 

Angelique jumped out of her chair, sending it sailing backward. "That's not enough time!" she yelled out. 

Veronica looked at her like she just swallowed a canary and looked back at the Judge, explaining, "This is our last offer, your Honor. We can have a contract to that effect drawn up this afternoon for Ms. O'Bryan to sign and she will have one month from this date to turn in all funds required." 

"If she cannot make good on her mortgage loan, we will take the pro-offered store as part of the payment. As a show of our generosity, my clients will add a clause to the agreement which will state that once all assets of the shelter and Heaven Sent are liquidated any additional funds required to pay her debt will not be pursued. We will take what we have and cut our losses and Ms. O'Bryan will be considered paid back in full. 

Gabriel rested his hand on Angelique's shoulder and lowered her into his seat. Looking back at the opposing counsel, he agreed to her terms. 

The judge felt Angelique's outburst was just. He wasn't crazy about the deal himself. Believing it to be financial suicide, but with both sides in agreement, there was little else to be done. 

"Agreed. All paperwork is to be delivered to Ms. O'Bryan this afternoon. One month hence the debts are to be paid in full or we will foreclose on the shelter and Heaven Sent will be taken as collateral. Court is dismissed."

As the gavel struck the bench, Angelique felt it shatter her last hope. The judge left for his chambers and she watched him depart with a heavy heart. She now firmly believed there was no real justice in this world. Only the justice money could buy.