Chapter Fourteen

The rest of the week was rather uneventful compared to the weekend

The rest of the week was rather uneventful compared to the weekend. Angelique pressed charges against Bobby under to advisement of Officer Reid. He believed the group would disburse without Bobby to call the shots. To be safe, however, he requested to be put in charge of the neighborhood patrol. He now required his officers to sign a log inside the shelter when they passed by, showing a physical presence to anyone considering retaliation.

Rebecca had settled in nicely with Mrs. Dolton. The elderly woman didn't even seem to miss Saint, who now traveled with Angelique wherever she went. Angelique had taken the time to purchase some new clothes and toiletries and pack a small suitcase to keep up appearances that she dropped off the next day for Rebecca. Rebecca looked as if she would cry, but held herself together for Angelique's sake.

Angelique felt as if she was being lulled into a false sense of security, waiting for the storm to strike. Bobby's arraignment had passed and because of his record, could not post bail. Being nineteen years old, they would try him as an adult. Wedged under her door was the summons to appear in court for the hearing.

"Good news again, I see," she said sarcastically, then wondered when had she become such a cynic.

Saint nuzzled her leg as a sign of support, which she acknowledged with a quick scratch behind the ear. "I don't know Saint, for a boy that is supposed to be so dangerous things, have been awfully quiet lately."

She began pacing her apartment, tapping the letter against her hand. Something just didn't feel right, and Angelique's instincts were never wrong. Looking down at the summons again, she realized what she missed. Bobby was being represented by none other than the law firm of Caldwell, Berkley, and Klein.

"Oh, God no! No! It can't be!" Angelique flopped onto the sofa, suddenly feeling deflated.

"I'm afraid so, Angel."

Angelique turned to the armchair, and there once again sat Gabriel. Saint didn't react to him in the way Angelique would have expected. He instead looked rather excited to see him, bounding over, Gabriel ruffled his fur and Saint settled at his feet. Angelique took a seat across from them.

"Please tell me it isn't John? Please, Gabriel. I have to know."

"You know I'm not allowed to say anything, but... no, John's not defending him. He doesn't deal with the petty cases."

A small squeak escaped her lips as she stifled the gasp by covering her mouth. Eyes wide, she shook her head in fear and disbelief.

"I'm afraid so, Angel."

"No!" Angelique covered her face with her hands. "No... not Danny."

Gabriel closed the distance between them and wrapped his arm around her. "Yes, this is Danny Caldwell's case and what's worse is that this isn't the first time he has defended this kid and got him off."