Chapter Sixteen

Angelique had the most horrible thought

Angelique had the most horrible thought. Is it possible I'm even worse at being an angel than I am at being human?

"Angel..." Gabrielle began, but Angelique cut him off.

"If what you're telling me is true... well, of course, it's true, but ..." she sighs heavily and points at John. "Well... look at him?"

Gabriel smiled at Angelique. "I know things haven't worked out as we had originally hoped but you have to admit, if there is anyone who needs saving, it's him."

"Saving? From what? He has everything he wants in life, money, status, and every available woman in New York and even some of those who shouldn't be available."

"He needs you, Angel," Gabriel said patiently.

"I highly doubt that," Angelique contested. "What could I possibly offer him?"

"The one thing he needs most. The one thing he has been missing for most of his life. Love. More specifically, your love. Are you willing to finish what you started?"

"What I started? Gabriel, I'm confused."

"Do you love him?" Gabriel asked.

"Why are you asking me a question that you already know the answer to?" Angelique asked, annoyed.

"Do you believe in him?" Gabriel continued.

"What do you mean? Gabriel, I don't understand." Angelique felt more frustrated by the second.

"If you do not believe in him, he will be lost and I'm afraid so will you."

Looking back at John's sleeping form, trying to understand what he required of her, she asked, "Gabriel, can't you tell me what I need to do?"

But no answer came. Gabriel vanished.

She was John's angel. Well, that would explain the connection with him, but how could she save him? Especially when he seems determined to destroy her. What did Gabriel mean by she needs to believe in him? Believe what? Putting her coffee down, Angelique unfolded her legs from the couch and moved closer to John.

Kneeling by his feet she stared at him as if he were a puzzle to be solved, but somehow the answer escaped her. Gabriel said love was the answer, but could she really afford to give him the one tool that was needed to destroy her? John stirred, but Angelique didn't move too intent on finding the key to unlocking this mystery.

As he opened his eyes, he awoke to find Angelique staring at him. It was unnerving how intense her gaze was. He sat up a little straighter in the armchair to put some non-existent space between them. He hated it when she looked at him like that as if searching for something that she wasn't sure was there. She had a way of looking into a man's heart and bringing out the worst in him, his conscience.

"Angel? Stop staring at me like I'm something to be fixed. I'm fine just the way I am, thanks."

Angelique crinkled up her nose at him in disbelief. "I have to disagree with you, but I guess only time will tell," she said as she stood up.