Chapter 51: Goodbyes

The night quickly draws to a close as the guests begin tightening their jackets and juggling car keys in their hands. Davina's kids are the first to leave, with their partners and children - followed by Rosie's children, then my parents, then a few other family members that I didn't really acknowledge. During the awkward, agonizing meal, I was frustrated that Jamie nor Jessie had the decency to come introduce themselves to what they believe is my new girlfriend; but I assume that has something to do with Jade, or they're waiting to be introduced formally after everyone has gone.

Isla had loosened up after a few glasses of wine, exactly like Lily used to. By her fourth glass, she had endured conversations with my father, her nieces and nephews, Davina and a few of her own family that she had never even met. 

She's quite drunk actually. Her face falls into my shoulder sleepily, just as another two guests announce their departure--her parents.

The only two people she has avoided. 

"Are you off?" I say up to them as they stare down at Isla's drunken state.

"Yes," David replies. "It's been a fun evening. I can't believe he's twenty. Where has the time gone?"

I feel Isla's face scrunch harder into my shoulder as she fights with every bone in her body to not look at him, whether she's intoxicated or not. 

"It's definitely gone fast." I frown.

"Is she alright?" Sarah asks me, nodding her eyes at Isla.

"She's just tired," I say. "It's been a long day."

"Right." Sarah says. "Anyway, Rosie, we'll see you tomorrow?"

Rosie glances up. "I'll call you before I leave."

"What's happening tomorrow?" Luke whispers.

Rosie nudges his shoulder. "Lunch. Remember?"

"Ah, dammit." Luke bites his lip, looking up. "I'm at a meeting. Completely forgot."

I grin to myself, remembering the times when I used that same exact excuse, along with many others. I would even delve into an angry, untrue rant at how much the manager's are screwing up just to make it convincing--ah, good times.

"Next time," says Sarah, narrowing her eyes.

Luke swallows, bringing his beer glass to his lips. He widens his eyes, mentally listing a dozen more excuses he will use for that 'next time'. 

Done that too.

Isla slowly brings her head up from my shoulder, staring past my face in a trance. Her eyes are blood-red, and she begins wiping them before anyone else can tell. 

"Anyway," Sarah says. "Thanks again. Better say goodbye to the birthday boy."

Sarah walks away to embrace Jamie across the dining area as he says goodbye to others - but David remains, and he glares at Isla, blinking himself into a submission.

"Dad?" Rosie says. "Aren't you leaving?"

David continues blinking, seeming startled. "H-huh?"

"This is your last chance." I whisper to Isla. "You might regret it."

Her eyes gently bounce to mine, she toys with expressions until she finds one to stick with. "What do I say?"

"Anything."

"Well, goodbye then." David announces.

Isla bites her lip, she turns her head, then turns back, then turns it again. "Wait. . .David."

David turns around, and Isla's eyes find his. I watch as her chest rises and falls as her heart accelerates beyond a normal speed. 

"It was nice to meet you," she says

He looks between us all, and Rosie turns her head, wiping away a quick tear, and that's the confirmation I need to know that she definitely knows. I don't know how she knows, but I don't particularly care: the point is, she does.

"I never really did meet you, though," David says in confusion. "But, you must be a special girl to be by this man's side. I hope you've got a sense of humor, you might need it."

Isla tries to laugh, but because she's fighting a cry, it just comes out in weird noises. "You're right about that."

"The two of you should come for lunch sometime. I'd like to know you more."

"Maybe," Isla whispers. "I'd like that."

Rosie bites on her fist, still turned away, like she knows something about this that I don't. Surely it should be a good thing that Isla gets to spend time with her father? But the pain on her face resembles a reunion that will never happen.

"David!" Sarah calls from across the dining area. "Today!"

David and Isla still stare at each other, both of them lost in something that only one of them can't explain. "Goodbye, then."

"Goodbye." Isla chokes out. 

David reluctantly turns; he carries body language that is equivalent to that of being beaten up. I suppose a father's instinct is too strong to underestimate, on some level, he feels it, even though he doesn't know what it is.

Rosie turns her attention back to Isla, but she just stares after her father, watching as he and her mother both leave the restaurant, but Isla has the look of someone that has just said her final goodbye. 

"We should be going too." Rosie says. 

"You too?" Isla whispers. 

"Yeah. It's getting late."

I take Isla's hand, hoping it can somehow calm her. "So should we." I say.

"Yeah," she says. "It's late."

She snaps out of her daydream, gently pulling herself up from the table. I reach over to grab my jacket while Rosie and Luke wander over to Jamie and the twins. 

"The restaurant closes now," I say to Isla. "We'll do it here."

She stares at me. "What?"

"Telling the kids."

"Yeah, about that, I-"

Suddenly Rosie appears in front of us. "Can I talk to you?"

Isla nods. "Sure."

She takes her over to a quiet table, out of ear shot, and I approach the kids as Isla and her sister share some weird moment that may or not be a goodbye.

It looks like a goodbye. From the tears that fill Rosie's eyes it looks like their last goodbye. 

Something is wrong here. Something is off.

And I'm going to find out what.