Chapter 9: Flash Back

"Jay, check this out!" Travis yelled from across the hall. 

I glanced up from my flirtation locker to see him charging toward me, and I tried to act as cool as possible, as the pretty, slim blonde girl that had stopped  to talk to me rolled her eyes. 

"I don't know him," I whispered. "Honestly."

The blonde girl sighed as Travis interrupted us, pushing a piece of paper directly into my face. "I got accepted!"

I ignored him, not even reading it, and I pushed the letter back at his chest. "Awesome, dude," I clenched my teeth. "Tell me about it later."

Travis looked in between us and his eyes widened. "Ah, I get it. My bad. Talk later." He looked across the hall and saw someone else he wanted to tell, he screamed their name and began charging away from us. 

The blonde girl placed her hand on the lockers and leaned in close to me. She smelt of strong perfume that almost choked me. "So, as I was saying. My parents are away this weekend," she gave me a strange grin. "If you'd like to. . ." she ran her hand down the front of my shirt. "Get together, or something."

I swallowed. "What is your name again?"

"Chloe," she said, she narrowed her eyes angrily, taking back her hand. "My name is Chloe."

"Right," I said. "Chloe."

"So, what do you say?" She raised a dark eyebrow and fluttered her long, massacre-smothered eyelashes as she stared at me. "Up for some fun?"

I looked over her shoulder as she continued to glare at me seductively, and I noticed a girl standing behind her, peering into her locker and holding her mouth like she was resisting a mighty laugh. It was the same girl I'd seen in my classes, but had never spoken to. The same girl that caught my eye two years ago in the exact same hallway. She was definitely memorable. With her bright blue eyes, wavy, bold dark hair and crispy pale skin that was slightly beginning to tan as summer was hitting. I'd often hear her laugh in class, her laugh was a funny one, squeaky and spaced. It was rare to hear it, because most of the time she had a face of stone, and when she noticed anyone staring at her, she'd flip them off with a scowl.

She met my eyes over Chloe's shoulder and she waited for me to give a response, as though it was the most amusing thing she'd ever heard.

"I think I'm busy, actually," I said. "Have fun."

Chloe's grin faded, replaced with a furious scowl. "Whatever."

She clicked her high-heels past me, and even with her bare legs and short skirt moving by me, I didn't look. I always looked. But not that time. 

The girl met my eyes, and the sharp, defined blue pulled me in automatically. "Hi." I mumbled. 

She took out a large folder from the locker and slammed it closed, she pulled it to her chest and spun around to face me. She looked me over, evaluating my offer of conversation. "Hi."

"I'm Jason." I said. 

"I know," she said. "All the girls talk about you." She looked me up and down again. "Honestly, I don't see it."

"See what?"

She leaned in closer. "It."

"What exactly is-"

"Goodbye, Jason."

She spun around quickly and started strolling down the hall. An instinct took over my brain, and I wasn't really sure why, but I rushed after her. 

"Wait," I called, walking by her side. "Aren't you going to English?"

She laughed out. "No, I'm going to French."

"But we have English next."

She continued laughing, and she stopped herself dead in the middle of the hall, spinning to meet my eyes again. "Do you think I'm in your class or something?"

"You've been in my classes for two years." I narrowed my eyes, confused. 

She widened her eyes. "You really don't pay attention to anything other than your ego, do you?"

"What. . ." I began to say, she started walking away from me again and I walked quickly beside her. "What?"

She laughed again. "I'm not in your classes, donut."

"You're. . . Rosie?" I asked her for confirmation, because I was starting to wonder if I'd somehow walked into some kind of alternative universe. "You usually stick your finger up at me."

"Nope," she said. "It's not me. Do I look boring? I am not boring. Rosie is boring. I love her but, she's not got that oomph, you know? I have that."

I stared at her. "Are you on medication or something?"

She hit my arm. "You're funny. I'll tell Rosie you said hi." She spun around, giving me the ultimate cold shoulder. 

"But I was saying hi to you." I mumbled, starting to walk after her.

"English is the opposite way, Jason."

"Right." I said, stopping dead in the hallway. 

She reached the end of the hallway, but before she turned around the corner, she looked back, and a smile of true amusement lit up her face. 

I was still confused, but I managed to give a smile back. I couldn't hide it from my face, she was different, she was intriguing, I had to know her more. I walked backward, still staring ahead, and then I finally turned, making my way to the English class I'm pretty damn sure she was in. 

My entire conversation with her made me believe she was just a little crazy or rejecting me in a random way, but as I wandered into the full English class, with my bag tight to my shoulder, I almost dropped it as my arm flopped downward.

There, at the back of the class, sat Rosie. The same girl I had just seen, the same girl I had just spoken with moments before. But she was wearing different clothes. This version wore a skimpy blue shirt with a black skirt, and her hair was in braids down her collar bone. The other version was more into her bright leggings and striped sweaters, with shoes that didn't really match. She was definitely the girl I saw two years ago, I just thought she had a massive wardrobe change. 

There was no way it was possible that in those three minutes that she turned that corner she changed her clothes and somehow beat me to English, so there was only one other possibility: twins. 

I took my seat at the front of the class, ignoring the furious glare of the English teacher, Mrs Harriet, who had given up giving me a lecture on my time keeping months ago. She continued teaching the class, and I turned my head to look at Rosie. 

She noticed my stare and narrowed her eyes, sticking her middle finger up at me. I glanced away, rubbing my chin repetitively. Rosie was definitely a more attractive version of her sister, but there was something about that girl in the hallway, something that stuck in my head.

I had no idea what it was, but I was determined to find out.

+ + +

And I did.