One

~Mark~

"Darling, I'm off to work!" I called, as Jack was cleaning the dishes on a bright, spring day. I put my coat on, afraid of the weather forecasts predicted that night.
"Ok, sweetheart! Get some bad guys!" Jack laughed, quickly planting a kiss on my cheek, then continuing to clean.
"I love you. Be careful, love."
"I will, Sean."
"Hey dad, I'm off to school!" Chase ran to me, and gave me a quick hug as he ran out the door. I laughed, for his tardiness always seemed to amuse me.
"Be careful!" Jack yelled in an annoyed tone.

I quickly snuck up behind Jack, and embraced him from behind, earning a yelp of surprise from him.
"Come on, don't you have to go to work?" He laughed, trying to shake me off. I didn't budge, however.
"Oh baby... I have ALL the time in the world for you..." I groaned, unzipping my pants loud enough so he could hear it.
"Save it for the bedroom, Markimoo."
"Ugh. Rejected again."
"You know you love me."
"Yeah, yeah." I laughed. I kissed him, zipping my pants back up.

"See ya tonight."
"See ya, Mark."

I grabbed my umbrella, and went out the door, eager to go to work. I got in my car, and drove off, heading to my rather new work office.

~

I never knew how much I could love anyone. Have you ever felt that way? You had so much passion... So much love for that person, that you couldn't imagine a life without them? Thank god, I love as much as I do. Life would be so bland without love, wouldn't it? Without love, there would be nothing to love anymore.

The love that I share for both Sean and Chase? Huh... I guess you could say I couldn't live without either one. Some people ask me "Why would you give your life for them?"

And I simply tell them this, and nothing more.

"Because I love them."

Chase has been nothing but a great kid. Always getting good grades, has a lot of friends... Life for him is great, and I'd want nothing less for him. When I really think about it, he saved all of our lives: Bob's, Wade's, Sean's, and mine. Without his knowledge, I would merely be dust, and so would they. Instead of the headline "Serial Killer Found", it would be "Four Men Found Dead". That's scary to really think about.

And Sean? Heh... Gorgeous as always. He really didn't like the idea of me becoming a detective at first, for he didn't want to lose me again. But I knew I had found my calling; I knew how I was going to repay the world for letting me live. And that was becoming a detective, saving those who are put in the same situation me and Sean were put in. Jack frowned at me, but gave me a nod of agreement. "Just be careful, ya big doof."

I've only had small cases so far, but any little thing I did helped me become more confident that this is what I should be doing. It made me smile... Every little person... They always left with a smile, and they a left a smile for me to leave on my lips. It feels great; helping people is a feeling I have always enjoyed. Hopefully, others like the feeling, too.

And hopefully my kindness prevails in the rain that is yet to come for not only me, but for the world around me.

{}{}{}{}{}

Like the first chapter? I hope you did! I'm so excited to write a sequel for one of my favorite works of all time. And I hope you enjoy this book, too. So give me some feedback! Tell me what you think of it in the comments, and if you enjoyed this... Hit that favorite button!

I love y'all!