3 0 J u l y 2 0 0 9

Journal: Page Cinco

30 july 2009 6:50pm

Drawing room

I woke up without a nose.

I must confess it took a while for me to come to terms with the sheer humiliation of not having a nose. A nose. What kind of teddy bear doesn't have a nose?

The true value of a word is only realised when it is removed from the sentence.

I suppose the same rule applied to body parts too.

It was only once I'd lost the small-black-little contraption did I realize its value.  It didn't really help me complete my day-to-day chores, but it was still a part of me.

A teddy bear's nose made a big part of it's face. The mirror was a constant reminder of the fact.

I constantly felt like Voldemort. (That was the name of the antagonist in Harry Potter right? Lilly did mention something about him not having a nose) The whole lack of nose situation was simply nauseating. What if the human Marcus's body was mutated because of this incident?

I know. I'm probably overreacting, but can you really blame me? The sole goal of my existence was to get back to my body. And if that was ripped apart from me...

The incident. Right.

It was Mae's fault.

Mae was the name of our two month old dachshund. And since she was two month old, she liked biting things. Our vet told us she was merely teething and there was nothing to be worried about.

But when it was my nose she bit at the middle of the night, I begged to differ.

For once I was glad everything in this body felt numb. At the very least, it saved me from having to go through the agony of having my nose torn off and swallowed by a beast.

The worst part of the entire incident was the outcome.

Ellie had taken one look at me and gone into a state of panic. She was worried.

Not for me. Oh-no. No one cared about the little bear lying on the floor.

She was worried for my torturer. The person who mutilated me. She was worried about the dog!

"Oh my god Mae! Are you fine?" I remember Ellie whispering as she fondled the dog's ears. "Did you swallow anything?"  

The little traitor!

She spent the entire day obsessing over the stupid dog.

I suppose I could understand her worry. The dog was her twelfth birthday gift. However, just because I understood it didn't mean I agreed with it.

The following day simply added fuel to the fire of agony already burning inside me.

I was sitting in the drawing room when I heard the phone ring. Instantly mom's hurried footsteps could be heard, followed by her whispered words. She sounded worried.

I wondered if I was the source.

She put the receiver down and let out a sigh.

And that is when the door opened and dad walked in.

Walked into the house he had spent five years avoiding the very existence of.