Seventeen - Crimson.

Chapter Seventeen.

It's 10:30 when the hospital door opens again, and my head perks up from its bored position to see who enters. It's only the nurse, coming in to check up on me.

I'd say I don't want the company, that I'd rather lie here in peace in what everyone thinks is my last night alive, but if I'm honest, I could do with some human interaction.

And nurse Karen look like she needs the company more than I do, so I decide to acknowledge her existence when she walks into the room.

"Hello," I whisper hoarsely to the woman standing beside the hospital bed, her head bowed lowly, checking on the morphine stand. As soon as she hears my voice, her brunet head whips up and her eyes widen in concern.

"Oh...dear heavens, you're awake!" she exclaims, rushing over to my bedside in a fluster and looking down at me in worry. "Thank the lord you woke up, my dear," she says, checking my temperature and pulse and morphine intake all at once, in that magical way that nurses do.

I blink slowly. "Why is that?" I ask, staring up at her warm, chocolate-y brown eyes. They're so pretty...

The nurse sighs in pity, and lifts a hand to gently brush the hair out of my eyes. "Oh...I'm so not cut out for this," she says under her breath.

I swallow hesitantly, trying to get rid of the sour taste in my mouth. "Am – am I going to die?" I croak out. "I d-didn't mean to stand in the middle of the r-r-road. I wasn't th-thinking!"

But not as pretty as Blaze's...

The nurse's eyebrows crinkle. "Hush, everything is going to be okay, Angelo. You just need some sleep, that's all," the chocolate in her eyes becomes glossy, and I think my eyes are too. "You need to sleep, and I promise, when you wake up, you won't have to worry about anything anymore. You'll be safe."

They could never be like Blaze's.

Karen lips turn up at the edges, but it isn't a smile. She isn't happy, and she doesn't mean it. Because after that, she smooths my hair down, whispers a good night, and leaves me to sleep.

Neptune's oceans runs down my cheeks. Father was right.

I whisper into the silent room, and let the words caress me into the nothingness; "I don't want to die."

Raven's POV

So, I'd usually say it's wrong to make first impressions, but in this case, I'm gonna ignore my morals.

Angelo's dad is a dick.

Which makes me feel a little better when I realise I'm gonna have to fight him.

"Well?" he questions, sticking his hands in his pockets and throwing his chin high. "Care to grace me with an answer? What the hell are you doing here?"

Flynn coughs, his hands flexing, from clenched and unclenched. Realising that it's a terrible idea to let Flynn Avery answer (his track record for trying to un-stir-up fights is shocking), I step forward and place my hand on his shoulder.

"Sorry sir, we were just passing by and our bike broke down. You wouldn't happen to know anything about fixing motorcycles, would you?" I grin, trying for a smile I hoped would win him over.

No such luck.

Felix Greene smirks. "Bullshit. I saw you from the window, fucking around outside my property."

I don't drop my smile. "Well, you know what teenagers are like these days... can't help it, really."

He drops his head back and laughs, and his hitmen behind him smirk. "Teenager?" Felix steps forward, and looks me up and down, his eyes pausing for far too long on my chest. "What a shame. You wouldn't believe the things I'd do to you... if it were legal, that is."