Epilogue

Begin Again.

Alex

I wouldn’t say that a lot hasn’t changed in the last nine years because I’d be lying. Nine years ago I asked the woman I love for her hand in marriage and fortunately she accepted. In this nine year period everything has changed…for the better.

I’m a lot older now of course—thirty years old today to be exact but I feel ancient compared to the kids’ these days. With this age comes responsibility and decision making and that’s why today isn’t only a milestone for me but it would be our last day in New York. It was the day before I pack my family up and move us halfway across the world.

I gathered the rest of my things from the shelf and stuffed them into the cardboard box.

“I’ll see you later?” I asked Clarissa hopefully.

She nodded quickly. “Of course.”

I think of all the people in this workplace, I’d miss her the most. She’s been by my side through thick and thin and jealous girlfriends—Jessica—and I haven’t managed to scare her off yet. When we first spoke about the move she was freaking out because she thought she would have to find another job and said a woman her age shouldn’t be job hunting. I simply laughed because she was younger than me—a mere intern when my father hired her.

She couldn’t afford to go to college so when she got the job here right out of high school she was more than grateful. With the amount of money she was getting and the raise I managed to give her, she got to do courses in office administration while maintaining her job as the world’s best assistant/secretary/confidant.

I told her that she would be in the best care even after I left, and I already threatened my successor to reassure her even more. Making my way into the parking lot, I pressed the button on my keys and the car door was unlocked. I glanced down at the my wrist expecting to see the Rolex that Jessica bought me for Christmas but instead saw a plastic Dora the Explorer watch. I groaned when I saw the time and hustled out onto the highway.

Ten minutes later I park across the street and get out the car. The yard was littered with elementary school kids, all waiting around for their parents . As I made my way up the walkway I could see the dark-haired faux hawk a few feet away. The closer I got, the more prominent the scowl on his little face got.

“Mrs. Richardson,”

“Cindy,” I greeted her.

“Its Catherine,” she basically snarled at me. “It’s the third time this week that he’s been sent to my office for offensive language and activities.”

“What did he say?” I asked her.

“He pulled Greg’s pants down while he was climbing on the monkey bars and told him to “get a life dickface.” She whispered that last part.

I had to look away so that I wouldn’t burst out laughing at his choice or words. “I see,” I told her. “Well as you know his attitude wouldn’t be a problem any further.”

“Yes his mother told me at the beginning of the week that this would be his last. I have to admit I was surprised that I didn’t see Cataleya wreaking havoc on the playground today.”

I chuckled at this. Even for her age Cataleya was a dangerous little girl; she must have gotten her attitude from me. “Yeah, her mother decided to keep her home today. It was for the best trust me.”