Part two of Chapter 8

The moment they stepped inside, Brim locked eyes with the owner behind the counter. The man's daughter was there too and had grown quite a bit since the sorcerer last saw her.

"Mr. Rivers! You're still alive!" Brim said. Luke watched the old man's widening smile. Brim went over to a table, gesturing Luke to follow, and he sat down, "Come—join me."

Luke thought to himself 'this is one of the strangest nights I have ever had'. He also considered the sorcerer a little too relaxed. But then again, maybe he knew precisely what he was doing. He still questioned his motives though...

Mr. Rivers came to the table and asked what they would like to have. Brim smiled up at him, "We will have some roast beast and the finest ale you have please!" His order put a big grin on the man's face. Perhaps it was a rare thing for anyone to ask for those things. They must have been expensive. And apparently, Brim had plenty of coin.

Mr. Rivers said, "Coming right up!" he left and went back into the kitchen area. Brim seemed to be quite comfortable and at home here. Luke couldn't help slowly loosening up.

They heard a woman suddenly scream and quickly looked over at the kitchen again. She had a rag in her hands, chasing after a skeletal rat on two legs. It was carrying an empty cup, breathing fast. Luke jerked in his seat at first, but then he knew what it was and only watched with big eyes. It scurried up and jumped on their table. Brim sat back in his chair, raising an eyebrow as it began to talk.

"More juice with bubbles, yes please! Ehehe! Bubbles with juice! More for me, yes?" it hiccuped. Luke slapped his forehead. Brim turned and looked back at the counter at Mr. River's daughter, "Who let a mimicker in here?"

"Who let a mimicker in here? I came here with my partner! He's outside!" it said, "And I have a name! It's Tommy, or Joe, or Clara... I have a name!"

Luke saw the scene it was making and worried it would distract Brim. There was something he had to do. The poor thing slightly reminded him of Joby. The only way Luke knew how to get it to stop was to scare it.

He snatched the mimicker by its head and turned it around to him, "You're drunk and disturbing everyone. Get out." It began to shake in fear. He dropped it and the little creature raced out the door as more people came in. Brim then crossed his arms on the table and looked at the teen with a 'well then' expression, then he checked the kitchen doorway again where the woman was panting. She returned to the kitchen and he smirked.

A few minutes later, Mr. Rivers and a male cook came to the table with their food and the old man sighed with a shake of the head, "If we didn't have that problem moments ago, you would have already been digging into this. Sorry boys. Please enjoy."

"Don't worry about it." Brim said with a smile. They smiled back and went away. Luke could feel his mouth watering. It looked and smelled great. That bread filled him up, but he couldn't help wanting to devour this food. It was just amazing. They got right to it.

While eating, Luke glanced over and noticed that man with the straw hat sitting back in the corner drinking from a large mug. He also saw another man approach the counter and start talking with Mr. Rivers' daughter. He was wearing a black cavalier hat and suspenders with a black striped shirt. He had a long scar across his cheek and his eyes were close to black from what he could tell. There really was something he didn't like about those two men. He wondered if they could've possibly been involved with Daniel.