Chapter 27

*Unknown location*

Roman stood with his arms crossed, leaning against the nearest old brick wall. Dante stood at his side, his mouth filled with hot Cheetos.

Roman grimaced as he watched his best friend stuff his face with the snack, the large family size bag of chips quickly dwindling. "I swear, you're always eating." He mumbled.

Dante shrugged, licking his red tipped fingers. "Don't worry about me or my digestive system. It all goes in one way and comes out one way."

"Dude...really?" Roman asked as he chuckled lightly, he couldn't stop himself.

Dante smirked as he balled up the now empty bag and tossed it onto the warehouse floor. He stretched lazily though there was a subtle hyper awareness in his eyes. He was alert no matter how playful he seemed on the exterior.

"You sure about this, man?" Dante asked seriously, his playfulness apparently gone for now.

Roman met his eyes and nodded. "We're not the only ones after him, Dante. He was still on probation but that shit isn't even the worst of it. This is the best way to go. If I allow him to continuously come after Essence he's winning."

"I'm not arguing with you or your choice. We've known each other since we were kids, I got you. You know that. But are you sure getting involved with the cops is it? I want King gone but I'm not feeling this."

Roman licked his lips, taking a deep breath. "The only other solution would be to kill him. I'm cool with that, shooting King in the head would make me happy as shit but it would also come with consequences."

Dante snorted, "I can't believe you used to be a kingpin."

Roman laughed. "Used to be is the correct tense."

Dante tsked again before smirking. 

"I'm not that kid anymore. Everything I've ever done or worked for was because I felt like I was missing something, because I was. If I didn't have that completion now, I'd gladly bust a few bullets in his ass."

Dante smiled, "Completion, huh?" He scratched at the stubble on his chin. "Ai'ight. I hear you. Essence is important you, and you're basically my brother. You're the only real family I've ever had, so if this is what you want, I got ya' back. But if this goes wrong, I'm shooting everybody."

Roman laughed again, checking his Rolex.

"Thanks for the heads up."

Dante smirked again, his playfulness returning full force. "Ain't nothing but a chicken wang, I just thought you should know."

Roman's phone rang, Kendrick Lamar's voice rambled soft spoken verbs. Silence fell between the two of them and Roman looked down at his phone, the number unknown. He frowned up but silenced it.

Just as he did the sound of heavy footsteps came forward through the eerie dimness of the abandoned meeting place.

Dante's smirk stayed in place as the suit clad detective walked forward. The man's eyes roamed over the two of them and he nodded.

Roman stood up straight, though he kept his arms crossed.

"I'm Detective Thomas Wells." The man said as he pulled out his badge, flashing it at the two of them. Dante snorted once more as if unimpressed and Roman merely nodded at the assurance.

"You gave me your card a couple nights ago after a drive by."

The detective nodded, "I remember."

"I think we could use each other." Roman started.

Detective Thomas raised a brow, stuffing his hands into his pockets, "Oh, really? And what exactly are we going to help each other with?"

"You want King in custody, and off the streets. And I want the same thing. King off the streets."

"And why should I trust you?" The detective asked.

Roman scoffed, Dante chuckled. "We feel the same way. You're a cop, you probably know who we are and what we've done...if anything you're more untrustworthy than we are."

Thomas smirked slightly, "I see we're on the same page."

"Listen, we just need to work together to get this shit done, ai'ight? You know King has been leading all the recent drive-bye's and upped the ante on the surge in drug distribution lately. You can pretend like you're not sure it's him but we both know otherwise. I have connections deep in the streets, you have the power to arrest him, and hell even kill him and not be liable to the consequences that come with doing so."

The detective whistled, "I could pretend...but I won't because it's obvious that I want King. He's not making my job any easier and nor is he making the neighborhood any safer."

Roman nodded, running a hand across his chin.

"We'll do this. We'll make a deal."

"Alright but fill in the blanks for me, kid. What do you get out of all of this? What's the catch?"

Roman thought for a moment, he turned to glance at Dante, only to find Dante stuffing a piece of gum in his mouth. Roman chuckled lightly, sighing before turning his attention back to the detective before him.

"There is no catch. Let's just say that King and I have some unresolved beef and killing was an option but...he's not worth it. I have someone important waiting for me and I can't continue to allow him to roam the streets."

The detective nodded, "I can respect that. You've made the right decision though."

Before either of them could say anything more Dante spoke up, his face twisted up, "Let's work this shit out so a brotha can go eat."

"Didn't you just eat?"

Dante huffed, "That was a snack."

*Comment, like and share! It's coming to a close guys! Are you ready?!*