{Chapter Twenty Two}

Ashe

Ashe paced the floor, which was so clean she could see her blurred reflection.  No doubt another of Isabelle's over done orders for Alec's failed wedding.

"Hey."  Alec jogged down the stairs lightly.

Ashe looked up as he stopped in front of her, dark hair swept to the side.  "All the guests are mostly gone."

She nodded and looked around.  "It's been empty in here now for the past few minutes."

"Good."  Alec's hand trailed at the base of her neck and she leaned into it.

"What will happen now?"

He sighed heavily.  "I don't know.  My mother had already sent the message to the Clave about Elementia and she can't recall it now."

Ashe breathed in relief and felt a small part of the weight lift from her shoulders.  Alec wrapped his arms around her in a hug.  Elementia would get help.  Her realm would be saved.

Ashe felt a heavy hand on her arm and she was pulled away abruptly from Alec's embrace.  "What the-"

"Ashlyne Malov, please stand down."

She felt her arms being pulled behind her and something ensnaring her wrists. 

"What are you doing?  What's happening?"  She glimpsed Alec pushing against the Shadow Hunter that stood in front of him.

"On the order of Maryse Lightwood, Ashlyne Malov has been taken into temporary holding."

"On what charges?"  Alec yelled.

"For treason and conspiring against our realm."

"What?"  Ashe tried to pull away.  "What evidence do you have?  What proof?"  

No answer was offered and Ashe was pushed forward.  She lost sight of Alec as she was surrounded on all sides and they moved down the halls.  The hard floor soon turned to carpet and a sick feeling crept into her gut as they neared that damned green door that led to Maryse's study. 

The door creaked open and she was unceremoniously shoved inside, nearly falling on her face. 
Hands gripped her arms, steadying her and then she was facing Maryse. 

"Leave us."  Her voice was deadly, and laced with poison.  Her husband stood behind, arms clasped.

Alec burst past the retreating guards, Isabelle hot on his heels.  "Mother, what are you doing?"

The door slammed and Maryse leaned back against the desk.  She was cold and calm.  Too calm for Ashe's liking. 

"You did a very bold thing today, Alec."

He straightened.  "I was following my heart." 

"That-"  Maryse paused, gaining control of herself.  "That is where you stray, Alec.  We are taught to rule with our heads.  Not our emotions."

Alec threw his hands up in the air.  "No!  You're wrong!  You refuse to see it but you're wrong!"

"Alec-" his father stepped forward.  "Don't talk to your mother that way."

"No," Isabelle stepped forward.  "He has every right to.  You tried to force him to ruin his life by marrying someone he has no love for.  What kind of a parent does that?"

"I've had enough of this."  Maryse snarled, fixing her cold eyes on Ashe.  "You are the root of all this.  Ever since you've stepped foot in this Institute, disaster has followed in your wake."

"Well I'm sorry that Valentine choosing to destroy my realm didn't fit in your plans."  Ashe said dryly.

A muscle in Maryse's jaw twitched before she gathered herself again.  "You're being sent to Idris."

Ashe heard Alec's snap of protest back but she suddenly found herself unable to speak. 

A numbing sensation started in her lower back, slowly growing like flame.  It rose up her spine to the base of her neck and she shuddered, trying to make sense of it.  It snaked down her arms, into her wrists and fingers, tingling and staying there.

Then it exploded throughout her body.  Her mind registered pain, as it seared through her veins, burning like nothing she'd felt like before.

Ashe cried out, knees buckling.  Alec caught her, snapping the restraints off her wrist.  "Ashe, Ashe, what's wrong?  Talk to me!"

Ashe writhed, sweat building on her brow as the fire danced through her body, lighting up every inch of her.

"What the hell is happening?"  Alec yelled, looking up at his mother.  "Did you do this?"

Maryse looked as shocked as Alec was.  "No, I-"

Then suddenly it stopped and Ashe gasped as the pain left as quickly as it had come.  She tilted her head back, clutching Alec's arm. 

"What was that?  Are you okay?"  He scanned her face.

She nodded and slowly, with his help, climbed to her feet.  Drawing in a shaky breath, she said, "I've run out of time.  He's reached the heart of Elementia."

Maryse watched her, no expression displayed on her face.

"What does that mean?"  Isabelle asked quietly. 

"In the heart of Elementia there is a stone.  It holds the power source and keeps our realm alive."  Ashe explained.  "All the Elementians contribute to its power, to build its strength.  If the stone is destroyed, it- it could mean the end for Elementia and its people."

"It's hidden deep in the palace and guarded closely by the royal family."  Maryse said, her calculating gaze tracking Ashe and Alec.  "It is passed down through the family.  The current ruler of Elementia is connected to the stone, feeling its strength and when it is harmed." 

"So are you saying the stone has been taken?"  Isabelle asked, eyes wide.  "By Valentine?"

Ashe nodded.

Alec's grip on Ashe tightened.  "Wait."  He looked up at Maryse.  "Did you say the current ruler of Elementia is connected to it?  As in king or-"

"Or queen."  His mother finished in a level tone.  "As I have suspected for some while now, Ashlyne Malov is the Queen of Elementia."