Chapter 1 - Missing

Note that this chapter may seem very repetitive of the book, a very concise version of it in order to get on with the story. Hope you all enjoy and I'd love to hear any comments and feedback from you!

"Clary, Jace is gone. So is Sebastian's body." Isabelle's voice wavered as if it hurt to say he words out loud. Clary couldn't breathe. She could feel the fear building up inside of her like a ball of fire. She opened her mouth to say something, anything, but no words came out. The room started spinning and Clary could see in Isabelle's eyes that something was very wrong. Clary was suddenly on her knees, staring at the ground in disbelief.

"Clary, what's wrong? Isabelle what is going on?" Jocelyn's voice sounded far away, as if she wasn't even in the same room. She strode over looking at the two on the floor with Luke standing behind her shoulder.

"It's Jace, Maryse said when they went to the roof, he wasn't there. And-" Isabelle paused, taking a deep breath, "neither was Sebastian's body." Jocelyn stopped in her tracks, looking down at her daughter. She dropped to her knees beside Clary, wrapping her up in a tight embrace.

"Oh sweetie, it is going to be okay. Don't worry, we'll try and find him-" Her comforting voice was cut off by Clary's sharp tone.

"No. There is no trying. We will find him." Her eyes were shimmering with unshed tears, her voice becoming softer, "I have to find him. I can't lose him, not again."

***

Clary, Alec, Simon and Isabelle sat in silence in the library of the Clave in Idris as Maryse, Jocelyn and the others were throwing out ideas for how to approach the search for Jace in a different way. It had been nearly 2 weeks and they had not found him, they had only seen him and Sebastian pop up on the tracking map all over the world for minutes at a time and then last night he had shown up with Sebastian at Amatis' house. Clary was losing her mind sitting around while she knew Jace was with Sebastian and could be in danger. However, when she had seen him the night before, he seemed almost content with his situation, even trying to convince Clary to come with him. She couldn't get the conversation out of her mind.

"I'm still Jace," he said. "I still love you...Come with me and Sebastian. And I'll explain everything...We are bound, he and I." He lifted up his shirt, showing a dark red rune, demonic in origin, etched across his heart. "This rune binds me to him. Cut him and I bleed...Come with us, he's serving a greater cause."

While the adults argued, Clary leaned over to Simon and whispered in his ear. "Come with me." She grabbed his arm and pulled him out of the library, without even gaining the attention of the adults. She dragged him down the hallway without saying a word despite his protests until, finally, he stopped. With his vampire strength, Clary had no chance of moving him. He was as immovable as a stone wall.

"Stop. Just because I haven't been kidnapped this week doesn't mean you have to make up for it," He joked but, seeing the expression on Clary's face, took a deep breath and his voice took a serious tone, "Tell me what is going on, Clary. You're worrying me."

She rummaged for something in her pocket and pulled out a pair of rings, looking up at Simon. "I took these. I have a plan."

"Well Fray, while I am flattered, I hardly think this is the time for a proposal." While his words were joking, his voice hinted at more concern than humor. "Why does every time you say you have a plan feel like the scariest thing imaginable?"

"Well, because more often than not, my plans tend to end poorly." She said admittedly, earning a chuckle from Simon. "But this time it's necessary, regardless of the consequences. And although you can choose not to help me, you very well know I will do this with or without your help." Simon stared at her with a worried expression, but after a few minutes of futile attempts at changing her mind, he submitted.

"Fine. I'll help."

***

"Okay. So are you ready?" Clary asked Simon as he shook his head indicating no. "Okay good. Simon, it is all going to be alright. " She sighed, obviously ignoring his opposition.

"Why don't I believe that?" He whispered, looking down at his hands. He quickly regained his composure and looked back at her intently. "Okay, so you're going to go back to the house where Jace and Sebastian were and wait for him to come back. But we will keep in touch with this fairie rings? And you're sure they will work when you're in another dimension?" She nodded at him with a weak smile. He sighed, "I know you feel like you have to do this, but- but you don't."

"I know. But I would never forgive myself if I didn't at least try. I have my ring, and you have yours. Just do not take it off, ever. I won't ever take mine off either." She turned to the wall of her room and began drawing a portal, holding Simon's hand. She turned back and pulled him into a hug. "You are my best friend Simon, I love you and I promise I will be back."

Simon hugged tighter until she finally broke away and pulled back with a deep breath. A sad smile stretched across his face, "I love you too Clary. I'll talk to you soon." He indicated the ring on his finger, holding his hand up and she did the same with a smile before stepping into the portal, it closing up behind her.

She opened her eyes and found herself sprawled out in front of Amatis' house. Her knees were bleeding from the rough impact, tearing through her dark jeans. She scrambled to her feet and walked up the stairs, sitting down at the top, patiently waiting for Jace to come back as he said he would. Time passed slowly, she could have been waiting 1 hour or 4, but she didn't even bother to check her phone.

"Clary, I knew you'd change your mind." She heard his beautiful voice before she even looked up. There he was, standing with a genuine smile on his face, his golden eyes burning bright.

"Jace. I-" She was cut off before she could finish her sentence when Jace pulled her up into his arms and embraced her in a hug. She was wary at first, but when she felt the familiar feel of his arms around her and his breath stirring her fair, she melted into him. "I missed you so much." She squeezed her eyes tight, feeling water brimming them.

Jace broke away but held her arms softly, "Are you ready to join me?" She felt terrified but faked a smile and closed her eyes as he grabbed her hand and they were transported into another dimension.