Chapter 58

Lexa's POV

"This isn't what I expected." Raven says as Octavia helps her down from her horse.

"What did you expect?" Octavia asks.

"I thought that the instant we got onto Azgeda land it'd magically become freezing cold or something."

"I don't think the world works like that, babe." Octavia says, pressing a kiss to Raven's cheek.

"But it has mutant bunnies, giant gorillas, and people that bleed black." Raven points out.

"That's... that's a good point." Octavia concedes, frowning.

"Lexa, Octavia, Raven, come on!" Clarke calls. "We're setting up camp over here, stop dawdling!"

"Dawdling?" I murmur, but apparently I say it loud enough for Raven to hear.

"We've taught you what goofing off means, right?" When I nod, she continues. "That's pretty much what dawdling means, goofing off and not helping."

"Raven, quit flirting with Lexa and get over here and help us!" Octavia says loudly from where she's setting up their tent.

"I will go get some firewood." I offer.

Clarke kisses me quickly when I get close enough to her before going back to work. "Alright, stay safe."

I head into the forest surrounding our make shift camp site. We will not be around many trees for a while, so I will gather enough for tonight and then perhaps come back for more with Clarke.

It does not take long to find enough to make a warm fire. The nights here are colder than the others, mainly Clarke, Raven and Octavia, will expect. A larger fire tonight should keep us all from freezing.

I head back with my arms full, keeping an eye out for anything suspicious. I know it was a squirrel earlier, but it still set me on edge and I cannot find it in myself to completely relax right now.

By the time I get back to the others, the tents and everything is already set up. Lincoln is setting up a few pieces of wood so I make my way over. We work in silence, setting up the fire, leaving some of the wood out so we can put it in later to keep it going.

When we are done, I go and sit next to Clarke while Lincoln sets the fire. I wrap an arm around her as she leans against me, yawning. Resting her head against my shoulder, she watches the others prepare dinner. I know she probably wants to get up and help, but she is exhausted. We were woken up early after a late night. It was early for me, so it was incredibly early for her. Today, despite riding for most of it, had been tiring as well. Before we go to sleep, I will talk to the guards and let them know we will be leaving once everyone is naturally awake and has eaten breakfast. As for the sticks I was going to get with Clarke, we can do that in the morning. The sticks are not going anywhere, and neither will Clarke if she stays up too much later.

I can tell when the fire is lit only because of the way its light dances across Clarke's face. The smell of cooking near fills the air shortly after it is started, but I am too entranced by Clarke to look away. She notices, of course, and gives me a tired smile.

"We're all exhausted, but they still have the energy to be sickeningly adorable together." Raven grumbles loudly, making Clarke look up at her.

"They got more sleep than we did." Octavia reminds her.

"Yeah, but we got it on more than they did. So who really won?" Raven responds, smirking.

"Definitely us." Octavia says and they high five.

Clarke's body shakes slightly as she stifles her laughter. I kiss her forehead, knowing she can feel my smile. Ryder's even smiling a little bit as he passes out our dinner. I take Clarke and I's plates and thank him. Clarke lifts her head off of my shoulder slowly, as if it takes quite a bit of effort.

I give Clarke her plate and she quietly thanks me. I eye her worriedly. I have never seen her like this. She catches my gaze, and I know she immediately sees the concern in them. She gives me a soft, gentle smile and I let out my breath, not even aware I was holding it. She is okay, but exhausted.

"Hey, O. If you were the Grounder Pounder for being with Lincoln, what does that make Clarke?" Raven asks. The question is so seemingly random, all of us are silent for a moment. "A Heda Banger?"

"Oh my god, Raven." Octavia sighs, but her amusement is evident in her voice.

"You're a Grounder Pounder too, Raven." Clarke points out and I quietly ask her what they are talking about. "A Grounder Pounder is someone that sleeps with a grounder."

"Commander commands-her?" Raven muses. "No wait, Clarke's the top. Commands-her Commander." At that point, Octavia bursts out laughing.

"I'm too tired for this." Clarke sighs, pinching the bridge of her nose.

Knowing Clarke, she means that. I look away from her only to fix Octavia and Raven with a stern look.

I pretend not to hear Raven say, "Damn that was hot." They know what that look meant, and they will stop for now.

"So, how much longer until we get to our destination?" Octavia asks, changing the subject.

"Two more days if we ride quickly." I answer. "But at the pace we are going, it will be two and a half to three days. We will be staying at the capital of Azgeda for a short time before we leave."

"And go where?" Raven asks.

I smile softly. It is a place Clarke will love. I will buy her paint in the capital because I know she may want to capture it on paper. I have brought a few canvases in the wagon and a blank notebook for her. She is an amazing artist, and I have a feeling the Heda's tower will be getting many new paintings on the wall.

"I will not tell you where, only that it is still in Azgeda."

Lexa has it all planned out, a surprise for Clarke and art materials... Hopefully I can give what I'm picturing in my head justice when I write it! Thank you all for reading and stay awesome!