Chapter 41

Lexa's POV

When Clarke and I fight, everything else fades and there is only us. We do not stop training until Titus cuts us off with an apologetic look, murmuring about how late it is. I glance up at the sky and let out a few quiet curses. We have been training for longer than I thought. It has been hours and we still have to speak to Ontari before Clarke is to be branded.

Clarke notices the time again, grimacing sheepishly. "I didn't realize it's so late. We'll have to end this in a tie."

"You have kept score?" I ask, "I lost count after the tenth round."

"I have, it's currently at 13-13. It's kind of fitting for today."

"Sorry to interrupt, Clarke kom Skai Kru, but Ontari is waiting for you both." Titus says.

"Mochof, Titus." I respond, giving him a hard look. I do not want Clarke to have to put up with his unfounded mistrust of her.

"Where is she?" Clarke questions.

I glance back at the Natblidas to make sure she is not with them. I do not see any unfamiliar faces, so she must be elsewhere.

"I am not sure, she is not with the Natblidas. Titus?" I turn to him.

"She is... In the basement."

My jaw clenches, "You put her in a cell?"

"Sha, Heda, but-"

"No, Titus. She is a Natblida first, an Azgeda second. She is to be treated humanely and with respect. Take her out this instant and send her to the throne room. Clarke and I will be waiting for her. After that, you are to prepare a place for her to stay with the other Natblidas."

"Heda, she is Azgeda, raised to hate you. She might kill you or the other Natblidas." Titus says pleadingly.

"She can try, but she will fail. Ai gonplei nou ste odon (my fight is not over). We will talk to her and determine if she is a danger to herself or others. Now go."

Titus scrambles off and Clarke takes my hand in hers, rubbing the back of my hand with her thumb silently.

"Let's go up to your throne room." Clarke says in a comforting tone, leading me back to my tower.

I say a hasty goodbye to the other Natblidas, who are already training again in the ring Clarke and I took over for a while.

"Perhaps someday it can be our throne room."

Clarke's eyes flicker to mine and she grins, "Perhaps after all the traveling."

"You fought well." I admit when we are in the elevator.

"Mochof, you did too. I still can't believe I tied with the Heda. Either you're losing your touch or I'm amazing." Clarke teases, nudging my arm.

I smile, ducking my head. "You are amazing. Your technique has really improved, I am impressed."

The guards hold the elevator doors for us and I make sure to thank them as we pass.

Clarke squints at me, a playful smile still on her face. I cannot tell what she is thinking. "Now are you saying that because it's true or are you saying that because I'm your girlfriend and you have to?"

"It is the truth." I say as I hold the door to the throne room open for her. Clarke hmms as though she is not entirely convinced. I pause, taking her hand once more as the door shuts behind us. "Clarke Griffin, you have always been strong and a fighter. Even before Nia kidnapped me, I was so impressed by how much you had improved in fighting. I know me training you was mainly an excuse so we could see each other, but you did so well. You are a fast learner, and wonderful to teach. I can tell you do not think as highly of yourself as I do, but that does not change how incredible you are."

Clarke's eyes are filled with tears and I panic for a moment, hoping I did not say something wrong. She sniffs and I reach up with my unoccupied hand to wipe away the tears forming.

"You say the sweetest things." Clarke murmurs after a moment, smiling at me. "Mochof, Lexa. Now can we sit up there before you say something too cute and Ontari walks in on us making out?"

"Of course."

I am never opposed to kissing Clarke, but Ontari might not appreciate walking in and having that as her first impression of us. I walk with her up the steps to my throne, her chair still there from yesterday. We sit, our hands still entwined, meeting in the middle between our chairs.

I run my thumb over the back of her hand as we wait, marveling at the fact her skin is still so soft.

The door bursts open and a very annoyed looking girl strides through. She looks to be roughly our age, her face scarred like most Azgeda warriors.

"You wanted to see me, Heda?" Ontari spits out my title.

"Sha. I apologize, I was not aware Titus locked you in a cell. I have spoken to him, and you are to sleep with the Natblidas as long as you pose no threat to them or yourself. If you do pose a threat, you will be given a room to stay in until that is no longer the case. Unless you break a law, you will not sleep behind bars again."

"Mochof." Ontari says, but there is skepticism and mistrust in her expression.

"Would you consider yourself a danger to others?" I ask, deciding a direct approach may work best on her.

"Only to my enemies."

"And who would you count as your enemies?" I question.

"I am not certain anymore. After Nia was killed, I lost everything I knew. I am still trying to figure out who my enemies here are. You and Wanheda killed Nia, so as of right now, you are enemies." She answers truthfully, fixing me with a hard look as if daring me to throw her back into a cell.

"And the Natblidas and people of Polis?"

"They have nothing to fear from me as long as they do not get in my way." Ontari states.

"Get in your way? What are you working towards?"

"Becoming Heda, though I have a feeling there will not be a new one called for quite some time. I will settle for becoming a general."