xxii

Going back

Washington D

Washington D.C.,
United States of America.

As they get off the plane, Charles accompanies Eleanor as they walk down the stairs. She hasn't spoken a word since she left the mansion in Russia. Erik can't see her like this. It hurts him to watch the closest person in his life this way. Charles, on the other hand, does his best to make her feel better, but she just replies with nods and shakes of her head. She gets in a car that was waiting for them and Moira looks at her worried. The driver looks at the mirror to look at them.

"I do not think we are getting to the headquarters in time, there's too much traffic" He informs politely. Charles frowns.

"We are not in a hurry, it's okay" Moira tells the driver as she sits next to him. He frowns confused.

"I'm sorry, Agent McTaggert, but there was an accident at the facility" She frowns worried. Eleanor and Charles read the driver's thoughts to find an image of the destroyed facility. Charles frowns and looks at Eleanor, knowing she also saw it. She covers her mouth really concerned about the accident. The driver starts the car and drives to the facility as fast as possible "I am afraid I can't go faster, miss" Moira sighs, wanting to see what happened. Charles decides to ask the driver to receive as an answer an attack from the Russians. They know the Russians were not behind this, Shaw was. Eleanor closes her eyes and looks at Erik. She needs this to end. Erik frowns at her, looking at her helpless eyes. She's screaming and asking him to finish this with just a stare. Erik sighs and wraps his arms around her. He truly cares about her, since she is the closest thing to a family he ever had since the Second World War.

She rests her head on his chest and she feels better. He is her only family now. As broken as her, as hurt as her and as stubborn as her. She always remembered that there's still one person that wasn't killed, Iris is just missing. Meeting Iris again would be probably putting her in danger too, and she doesn't want that. She would prefer to not hurt anyone else anymore, she prefers to be by her own. The thing is that Erik is that one person she can't seem to hurt anymore. He is truly like a brother.

"Thank you" She murmurs to her friend. Erik smile as he hears her voice again and shakes his head.

"You needed it" He replies as she pulls away. She nods and gives him a small smile. Then, she turns to look at Charles and feels his worry and a bit of discomfort. She takes his hand and he turns to meet Eleanor's gaze with a smile.

"I'm sorry" She murmurs, apologizing for everything. She feels sorry for acting that way in Russia, for keeping it away from Charles when all he did was care for her and being so childish after talking to Emma. The words she just said to both males are the basic English sentences, but somehow those are the only things she is able to say.

"Don't be" He holds her hand tighter and gives her a comforting smile.

When they get out of the car, the first thing they do is greet and comfort the other mutants. Charles rushes to a sad Raven and gives her a tight hug. She looks at Eleanor and both smile at each other, with a sad smile. Erik puts his hand on Eleanor's back as they walk with the group of mutants.

"We've made arrangements for you to be taken home immediately" Charles informs as they stand up.

"We're not going home"

"What?"

"He's not going back to prison" Sean says pointing at Alex.

"He killed Darwin"

"All the more reason for you to leave" Charles adds frowning "This is over"

"Darwin's dead, Charles" Raven tells him seriously "And we can't even bury him"

"We can avenge him" Erik says looking at  the mutants. Eleanor nods.

"Erik, a word, please" Charles tells him, making him leave Eleanor alone. She sighs as she stands there, listening to what they talk "They're just kids" Charles tells Erik.

"No. They were kids" He opposes Charles "Shaw has his army, we need ours" Their decision to stay was based on not fighting Shaw alone, now he needs that team. Charles sighs and looks at the mutants, mostly at Eleanor. Eleanor nods slowly and she gives in with a tired expression. Charles stares at her and sighs again, looking at the others.

"We'll have to train" He claims looking at the group "All of us" He say looking at Erik and Eleanor "Yes?"

"Yeah"

"Well, we can't stay here" Hank points out frowning "Even if they reopen the department, it's not safe. We've got nowhere to go" A smile starts to appear in Charles face and Eleanor looks at him curiously. Erik crosses his arms over his chest and raises an eyebrow.

"Yes, we do" Charles says with a small smirk on his face.