ii

Dinner

5 months later

5 months later.
San Francisco, California.

Eleanor looks at her soup blankly as her mother explains what happened today at her job. Her mother looks at her curiously, noticing she is not paying attention.

"Is everything alright, dear?" She asks her daughter narrowing her eyes. Eleanor doesn't pay attention to her words, since she is confused. She feels dizzy and crazy. Eleanor closes her eyes "Eleanor" Her mother calls her worried "El!" She shouts as she watches how her daughter starts to cry and contain a scream. Her mother rushes to get her before she falls from her chair, by using her telekinetic powers. She takes her child in her arms and looks at Eleanor "What's wrong?"

"Mama, what's happening to me?" She asks scared and without opening her eyes.

"Baby, I need you to tell me what is hurting you" Her mother tells her making her sit up. Eleanor opens her eyes slowly and finds her mother looking at her with worry.

"Nothing's hurting, mom" She murmurs "I'm scared. I hear something, like an echoes of voices talking from the distance. When I look at you I feel sadness and pain" Her mother stares at her and hugs her child tightly.

"Don't worry darling, it's going to be alright" She whispers as she smiles "I was hoping you wouldn't be like me, or your father but it was a foolish thought"

"I am weird now" She cries looking at her mother "Nobody is going to like me mom"

"No, darling, that's not going to happen. You're going to be strong, and I am going to be with you"

"But Haydn-"

"Who cares about Haydn? Listen to me, dear. If he doesn't accept you the way you are, he is not a real friend" Her mother tells her little girl. She looks at her mother sniffing. Her mother gives her a tiny smile and kisses her cheek getting up "I'll give you a chocolate if you finish your soup before I do" The girl's eyes light up and rushes back to her seat. Marta looks at her daughter as she sits down. This is just the start of what's to come. She looks down at her plate and finishes her soup.

"Mama! I finished it!" She exclaims with a grin. She stands up and takes their plates with a smile. She opens a box of chocolates and takes one for her and one for her child.

"Here you go, a caramel chocolate" Marta says giving her daughter a treat. Eleanor takes it happily.

"Thanks, mama" She replies with a smile, although the slight whispers and those feelings, make her uncomfortable "I want to listen to the radio!"

"It's bed-time, darling" She reminds her daughter "Come on, let's go to bed" She offers Eleanor her hand, which she takes sighing. They walk upstairs to the small and light blue room, since it is Eleanor's favorite color. Mark painted it. Marta shakes the thought off and enters the room. Eleanor runs to her bed and gets inside with her mother's help. Marta sits on the edge of her bed and covers her with the sheets. She kisses her daughter's forehead.

"Goodnight, El" She tells Eleanor switching off the light of the room.

"Goodnight, mama" She responds softly, as her mother closes the bedroom door.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

"Okay, darling, I am going to throw you this ball" Marta tells her daughter with a smile. She walks away "You have to make it stay in the air, okay?" Eleanor nods and gets ready. Marta looks at her daughter and throws away the ball. She looks at the ball with her hand extended in its direction. It continues falling until Eleanor lets some air out. It stops and starts floating and levitating around the backyard. Her mother throws another tenis ball at her daughter and Eleanor can't focus on both things. Both balls fall to the ground.

"Mama, I can't do it!" She exclaims sadly.

"It's just like in the previous exercise. We already learned how to make things levitate. Now, we have to learn how to make things stop by levitating them, we have to control them, okay?" Eleanor nods "It's like a part of your body. For example, when you want to move an arm, you send an order to that part and it just moves. You just do it. Well, think of this that way. It's something you can decide to do or not to do, but we want to do it, alright?"

"Yes, I'm ready" She replies with a smile.

"We'll try it again. Remember it is a part of you!" She exclaims. Eleanor nods and lets some air out. Her mother does the same thing again and she levitates the first ball easily. She smiles and waits for her mother to throw her the next one. Instead, she throws three balls. Eleanor thinks about what her mother told her, and it works. She smiles widely and makes the balls go around her. Then, she shoots the balls in direction of the forest and runs to her mother.

"I did it!" She exclaims happily. Her mother holds her hand happily and smiles.

"Si, lo hiciste, cariño" She tells her in Spanish. Over the years, she learned to change from English to Spanish "How about we bake a chocolate cake for dinner?"

"Si!" Eleanor exclaims happily is Spanish as she rushes into the house to start getting the things ready. Marta looks her daughter as she goes into the kitchen. She sighs and bites her lip as she frowns. She knows her daughter is going to be very powerful, but she doesn't know how is she going to manage that "Mama! Where is the sugar?" She asks with enthusiasm.

"In the second cupboard!" She says before looking at the ground. She truly feels helpless but she has to keep going. She is her daughter and she will do everything she can.

[edited]