xxxii

Hospital

Cuban Medical Complex,Havana

Havana.

Eleanor walks around the anteroom of the Cuban hospital nervously as she bites her red painted nails. She walks out of the room and stands in front of the information table. The young Cuban woman looks at her with a smile.

"¿Puedo ayudarla?" She asks in Spanish. Eleanor nods, understanding her.

"Si, me gustaría saber si se puede visitar ya a Charles Xavier" Eleanor answers with a smile.

"Lo siento, señorita, pero el señor Xavier sigue en observación" The woman replies looking at her magazines again. Eleanor nods and looks around. She looks at a door and checks if the receptionist is paying attention to her by reading her mind. She starts to walk away and enters a room where the workers get their uniforms. She picks a nurse's uniform and walks into the emergencies hall. She reads the papers on the doors until she finds Charles's name on it. When she does she enters the room and closes the door behind her. Charles is with his eyes closed, but she knows he is not sleeping.

"Hello, love" He greets opening his eyes. She smiles sweetly and sits in the edge of his bed.

"How did you know it was me?" She asks curiously, trying to lighten the mood "Do you call every nurse 'love'?" She teases.

"No, love, you're the only nurse I am interested in" He responds with a smile "I just knew it was you" She knows he didn't read her mind, and that's what she finds fascinating. She looks at him with a small smile, hating to see him in this hospital bed. She holds his hand tightly and stares at him.

"You look better" She admits still smiling. He smiles back and caresses her cheek.

"You look tired" He replies. She nods and looks down before shrugging.

"I am. I am truly tired" She admits "I haven't slept since we left your house"

"Our house" He corrects her. She smiles narrowing her eyes.

"I guess that's right, isn't it?" She murmurs. Charles's smile fades and he takes some air.

"You are the only thing I have left" He comments. She looks down closing her eyes. Charles uses his arms to move on the bed. Eleanor tries to help him but he doesn't want her to help him. He taps the bed and she lies next to him, resting her head on his chest.

"I don't have much either" She adds "I made you a promise, Charles. I am keeping it. I know you won't be able to-" She stops before saying it "Use your legs, but I will be there for you"

"You knew, didn't you?" He asks "In the beach, you knew I lost sensitivity on my legs"

"Yes" She simply answers.

"You know this is going to change a lot of things, don't you?" He asks looking at her while she closes her eyes.

"Yes" She takes a breath and looks at him, resting her chin on his chest "But it doesn't have to change us" He surrounds his arms around her a kisses her forehead gently. She closes her eyes and falls asleep in his arms. He looks at her and smiles sadly.

"I hope it doesn't" He whispers looking at the beautiful woman.