xxviii

Insecurities

Charles plays with Eleanor's hair as she rests her head on his chest

Charles plays with Eleanor's hair as she rests her head on his chest. They stare at the ceiling, covered by the sheets of Charles' bed. Naked and vulnerable, the lay there when tomorrow will be a decisive day for the history of humanity. Eleanor sighs without changing her gaze.

"I don't know what to do now" She confesses feeling confused. Charles frowns but waits for her to listen "We shouldn't have done that"

"Why?" He finally asks, both of them still looking at the ceiling. She closes her eyes sadly.

"Because now it is going to be impossible for me to do anything tomorrow" She admits biting her lower lip. Charles looks at her from the corner of his eyes and starts playing with her hair.

"What do you feel when you kill?" Charles asks her frowning at the ceiling. She sighs and narrows her eyes.

"I try not to think about that" She says honestly "I just think I am killing bad people, because it is that way. Killing was not my job, it was Erik's. Until one day, we had a source on Shaw and, well..." She remembers it so clearly. She remembers the group of armed men. She remembers aiming the gun and shooting. She remembers the last thoughts and feelings. One thought this people had in common was regret, the feeling of a wasted life. She shows Charles with her telepathic powers. Charles turns to look at her and sits up a bit to face her. She lays on the bed and Charles looks at her, caressing her cheek "I can't say I don't feel guilty, but I can't say I regret it"

"You can leave that in your past now" He tells her tenderly "You made me a promise, now I will make mine" He murmurs as Eleanor looks at him "I will comfort you when you need it, I will help you, protect you, love you and I will try to fill your days with happiness" She scoffs smiling.

"Don't promise me things. Just shut up and kiss me" She commands. Charles gives her a smile and places a kiss on her lips but he pulls away quickly.

"I think we need something to drink" He comments smiling at the girl. She nods and stays on the bed watching Charles as he puts a robe around his naked body. She smiles at the view. It is really been a long time without feeling anything for anyone. She could have sex with millions of guys, but it wouldn't be as good and as intimate as doing it with someone that truly has strong feelings for her. He leaves the room closing the door behind him.

He walks to the kitchen, still not believing their feelings are mutual. He never felt this spark with anyone. It is scientifically proved that the chances to find someone who shares your feelings are 1 in a thousand. But the chances of finding someone who shares with you an emotional connection, 1 in a million.

When he gets to the kitchen, he takes a bottle of wine and two glasses.

"You know, sometimes I wonder what my life would have been like if you hadn't found me here that night" A familiar voice comments. Charles turns to look at it.

"Sorry, what? You..." He finds Raven, but a Raven without clothes on "For God's sake, Raven! Where are your clothes?" He asks closing his eyes "Put some clothes on"

"Where are yours, uh?" She asks pointing at the robe, clearly noticing that is the only thing he is wearing.

"Raven" He tells the blue girl "Just at least cover with something"

"That's not what you said when you first saw me. But I guess pets are always cuter when they're little, right?" Raven asks sitting down. Charles rubs his eyes confused and places the glasses and the bottle on the table. Raven analyzes what he was carrying, concluding that he slept with someone "What did you do?" She asks "Or should I say who?" He stares at her with his eyebrows raised.

"Raven, I don't know what's gotten into you lately" He comments "I thought you'd be in a good mood. Hank, he tells me that he's found the answer to your cosmetic problem. Are you gonna tell me what's the matter or do I have to read your mind?"

"You promised me you would never do that" Raven tells her friend.

"Until recently, I never had to use my power to know what you were thinking, Raven"

"I could say the same to you. You don't talk to me either, am I supposed to be the only one trusting someone here?" She asks narrowing her eyes.

"What do you wanna know?" He finally asks sighing.

"I know you slept with someone. Was it Moira or-?"

"Moira? What are you saying Raven?" He asks grimacing. She stares at him, wanting to trust him. He looks back at her but he gives in "You're right. But it wasn't with Moira, I don't know what makes you think of that" He murmurs. Raven nods, getting who she is and looks down with a sarcastic yet real smile.

"I have to admit that girl is amazing" Raven comments looking again at her friend. Charles looks away "Charles, I just.. Used to think it was going to be you and me against the world. But no matter how bad the world gets, you don't want to be against it, do you? You want to be a part of it. And you seem to find other better partners" She says shrugging. Eleanor arrives at the kitchen door and knocks on the frame. Both turn to look at her.

"I hope I'm not interrupting anything" She says leaning against the frame of the door. Raven stares at her and looks at Charles.

"No, not really" She replies "Actually I would like to ask you something" The blue girl claims standing up. Charles frowns at her, not knowing what she is going to do. Eleanor smiles at nods.

"Sure, go on" She responds coming into the room pressing her hands against her waist to hold the robe.

"Do you think I look good like this?" She asks seriously. Eleanor closes her eyes and lets out a small laugh. This makes Raven narrow her eyes and Charles stands up, worrying about Raven in her anger doing something.

"Raven, you look stunning. Like this, in a 'normalized' form... You look gorgeous in every way" She replies looking at the blue girl "I thought that, out of all the girls you would be the most confident of all"

"But I am different, why would I be?" She comments.

"Isn't that what makes us special?" Eleanor asks in a whisper as he narrows her eyes with a smile on her face "I have my insecurities too, you know. But I love what is different about me, because it is my essence. And you should be proud of being so beautiful. My mother used to tell me there are millions of people in the world, all different from each other. Why would you want to be like them? I sure don't want to be just one more in those millions" Raven smiles at the girl. It's the first time they have truly helped her with her self-esteem. Charles stares at them, mostly amazed at how Eleanor saved the night with her clever but honest words "And blue is an incredible colour, it is my favorite to be honest" She adds with a grin. Raven looks down and nods her head.

"Thank you, Eleanor" She says so softly only she hears it "Good night" She says looking only at the girl. She leaves the kitchen quickly, feeling really relieved and confident, also adding a bit of joy brought by Eleanor's words. Charles takes the glasses and the bottle of wine. He walks over to Eleanor and she takes the glasses leaving Charles a free hand he can put around her waist.

"Please, I'm begging you now" He whispers into her ear with his eyes closed. Eleanor closes her eyes too "Don't ever leave me"