First contact

1949San Francisco, California

1949
San Francisco, California.

Eleanor smiles widely as she rides her bicycle with the older blond Haydn as the mysterious brunette Iris follows them. Haydn suddenly stops and looks at the girls.

"I challenge you to a race" He says looking at the younger girls with a smile.

"I don't like races" Iris murmurs looking down. Eleanor looks at her frowning and then turns to look at him. He shrugs looking back at her. She looks at the other girl again but decides to accept to race him with a smile. Iris sits down on the border of the street leaving her bicycle beside her.

"Well, Iris, since you don't want to participate maybe you can decide who wins?" Eleanor suggests looking at the lonely girl with a smile. She nods and stands up.

"Okay, so this is the final line" Haydn says pointing to a crack on the ground. He looks around and points to the end of the road, the part in which it turns into a path that goes into the forest "And we'll start there" He points into the distance. Eleanor nods and they take their bicycles there, walking and talking at the same time "I think we should get to know Iris, she seems nice"

"But she's weird" Eleanor replies looking back "I've tried to speak to her but... She doesn't want to be my friend. Everyday she avoids me" She explains looking down and eventually looking at Haydn, who already stopped and is staring at her with an amused expression.

"We'll try again. You're too good to avoid being friends with you" He says "And be careful in the forest" He jokes. She notices she was already walking into the woods. She blushes and goes next to him looking down.

"Maybe after we leave our bicycles in our houses we can get some ice creams" Eleanor suggests shrugging. Haydn nods with a grin.

"That sounds like a plan" He replies with his contagious smile.

"So, when do we start?" She asks confused getting ready. Haydn does the same and shrugs.

"At the count of three" He says "1" The air starts to be more heavy and strong. I look behind our backs into the woods and I see the trees moving with much more strength and violence "2" I look up at the sky and see there's not a single cloud, but somehow this cold air keeps haunting the lonely and dark woods. She hears complete silence before an enormous group of crows appears from between the trees "Okay, 3!" Haydn shouts realizing something is wrong.

The ride as fast as we can, not because of winning, but because those crows that appeared behind them come in our direction in a great group and they don't look funny, to be honest

The ride as fast as we can, not because of winning, but because those crows that appeared behind them come in our direction in a great group and they don't look funny, to be honest. When they cross the crack, they don't realize who was the first, but they do notice Iris stands still as the birds come.

"Iris!" Eleanor shouts not wanting to leave her behind. Somehow, when the birds reach Iris' position, they stop flying in their direction and spread. Both Eleanor and Haydn look at each other.

"That was a draw" She comments with a smile. Eleanor narrows her eyes confused but curiously. This is the first time both of them have seen her smiling. Eleanor and Haydn look at each other, feeling the same things and needing the answers to the same questions.

"Did you do that?" Eleanor finally asks impressed. Iris stares at them as her smiles fades into a sad expression. She nods.

"I'm sorry. I just wanted to see it more clearly. Plus, it motivated you more than a normal race. I shouldn't have done that, I scared you" Iris apologizes. Haydn smiles at Eleanor, somehow knowing that she is not going to judge the girl. She actually finds the situation very curious and special.

"Iris, that was amazing! How did you do it?" Eleanor exclaims with a grin at the other 12-year-old girl. She looks down happily and shrugging.

"I don't know how I do it, I just do" Iris answers. Eleanor smiles at her and then she turns to Haydn.

"That was incredible, wasn't it?" She asks him, looking for approval. He nods with a small smile.

"Yeah, it was" He replies looking at Iris analyzing what she just did. She was born with those powers. He knows that for sure. Then, he looks at Eleanor "We should go home, it's already 6:30 PM"

"Okay" She murmurs taking her bicycle. She waves at Iris, since she should live near this part of the neighborhood. The girls waves back and they start leaving "What about the ice creams?"

"I don't feel like it" He simply replies. She stares at him narrowing her eyes confused as she stops in the middle of the road.

"What's wrong? I thought you said she seemed nice and then she does this amazing thing and what you do is run away" Eleanor says, not sounding like the 12-year-old she should be. Haydn looks at her.

"I have to be home by 6:45 PM" He says "Stop it with the paranoia"

"Haydn, I know you don't have curfew, if you stopped lying to me maybe I wouldn't be asking questions"

"You don't get it" Haydn adds looking at Eleanor.

"Oh, and you do?" She asks sarcastically. She starts riding and she leaves Haydn behind. He rolls his eyes and covers his face.

"Eleanor, wait!" He shouts, but she doesn't pay attention to anything that leaves his mouth. He watches her as she rides into the sunset. Haydn looks down and shakes his head "You bloody idiot" He whispers to himself as he hits one part of the bicycle.

[edited]