Chapter Thirteen: Insomnia Nights

Chapter Thirteen:
Insomnia Nights

(Just so y'all know, this chapter gets a little bit gory.)

I paced around the apartment, a worried expression plastered on my face.

It was currently two in the morning and I hadn't been able to get a second of sleep for the entire night.

Not to mention the night before that either.

And the night before that...

I hadn't been sleeping very well. My insomnia was beginning to start up again as the depressive thoughts became more serious and frequent. But, it wasn't like I was exhausted. I mean, yeah I was tired but I wasn't passing out yet.

I gazed out the window at the city, seeing that it was still fairly lively, even at two in the morning. The lights of the buildings and streetlights brightly laid out in intricate patterns and shapes. I felt myself inching to go outside and explore the world.

So I did.

I was careful to be as silent as possible, which I was quickly becoming very good at since most nights I would have to be quiet as to not wake Michael up. I slipped on my shoes and a hoodie and I carefully opened the door and shut it again, making sure the click wasn't audible.

I walked down the hall, stepping into the elevator and going down to the lobby. Once I was down there I walked through the lobby, noticing that as usual, nobody was at reception.

I rolled my eyes and walked down to the doors, beginning to walk down the street. I pulled the hood up to my hoodie so I wouldn't seem like an easy person to come after.

I breathed in the musty night smells of Austin. Sometimes I missed England. At least there if you breathed in you wouldn't be burning your nose with the horrible scents that protruded every corner of the city. However, in England it wasn't as simple to go out for a quick night walk either.

When I turned the corner I slowly stopped, noticing that I hadn't seen any cars in a while. I thought that it might be time to head down a different route due to the lack of people so I turned on my heel and headed back the way I came.

I stopped immediately when I saw somebody in a dark hoodie and black mask at the end of the street I had just walked down.

I felt my heart begin to race and I thought over the possible things I could do to defend myself.

And of course, my brain decided now would be a good time to fail me.

The person at the end of the street pulled out a knife and began coming at me with it. I screamed and ran down the street I was originally going to go down. The person was quickly gaining on me and I silently prayed my long legs to go faster.

Quickly, I turned the corner and ran down an alley. I stopped dead when I realized it was a dead end. I felt tears sprout in my eyes as my anxiety and fear began to heighten.

The person stopped and held up the knife, stepping closer to me. He held out his hand, asking me for my wallet. I gulped and shook my head.

"Are you retarded or something? I could kill you with one stab," The person told me.

"Go ahead, I have nothing left to live for anyway," I told him, hearing my voice shake.

"I bet you don't with that attitude. Is that how you talk to people you're close to?" The person asked me, waving his knife a little closer to my face.

"Yeah..." I whispered.
"I bet they'd prefer you dead too," The person smirked, rushing the knife towards me.

I jumped back, remembering something Michael taught me years ago for a situation just like this. As he neared me, I stepped forward and kicked my leg out at him, tripping him up. He fell to the ground and I spit on him before running away again.