Chapter Eight: Confusion

Chapter Eight:
Confusion

I rushed down the hallway, or as fast as I could on crutches. Geoff and Brandon followed closely behind me with Rosie following behind them.

I couldn't think straight, I couldn't see straight, and I couldn't stop shaking. Michael was awake. He isn't dead.

When we made it to the room I noticed Michael's parents, two doctors and a nurse surrounding him. I made my way over there, shoving my way to the front of the group, not caring if I pissed people off.

Michael stretched slightly and made a quiet moan as he did so. I smiled at him, cooing at his adorableness. His eyes slowly blinked open, squinting against the bright light above him.
Michael is awake.

"Well, isn't it nice to see you awake," The older doctor said, writing things on a chart.

"What?" Michael croaked in a cracked, high pitched voice.

"Anyway, could you tell me what your name is?" The doctor said, ignoring Michael's previous question.

Michael sat there for a long moment, thinking. I felt fear and worry rise inside me as I wondered if the head injury he suffered was worse than I thought.

"Michael," He said after a moment.

"Okay. What about your last name?" The doctor continued.

This took him an even longer time. He searched around the room, as if looking for the answer on one of us. He shook his head and stared back at the doctor.

"Jones," He told him.

"Correct. Could you tell me what today's date is?" The doctor asked.

Michael looked at him like he was crazy for asking that question. I gulped back a sob as he shook his head and stared blankly at the doctor.
"I don't remember," He told him.

"Alright, that's understandable. If you think you remember go ahead and tell me," The doctor told him.

And so on the questions went. The doctor asked Michael his age, who he worked for, what he did when he worked, what his parents names were, and so on. After a little while, Michael was beginning to get his bearings. He were then able to tell him what had occurred, helping him understand why he was in the hospital.

Then he asked a question that made my heart drop.

"Where's Lindsay?" He asked.

"What do you mean?" Geoff asked him, moving forward a bit.

"Well, I don't know. I guess I just expected my girlfriend to be here," He told us.

I tugged on Geoff's sleeve and had him look at me. Geoff nodded and turned to the doctor.

"Um, is it possible he could have memory loss?" Geoff asked him. The doctor immediately nodded his head.

"Memory loss is to be expected with cases like this. How much do you think he lost?" The doctor asked us.

"Well, Lindsay and him broke up a couple months ago-," Geoff started.

"What?" Michael asked, throughly shocked.

"Hang in there, buddy. I'll explain in a minute," Geoff told him, resting a hand on his arm.

"But they dated for about four years," Geoff finished. The doctor nodded and wrote things in his chart.

"Michael, what's the last thing you can remember?" The doctor asked him.

Michael thought for a moment. I watched him, hoping it wasn't too long ago so we wouldn't have to catch him up on a lot.