Chapter 29 (edited)

Start from the beginning

He had planned to surprise her and not shock her. But from the looks of it, she wasn't even expecting him today, "Assalam u alaikum."

"Walaikum salaam," she murmured and hesitantly stepped back so he can walk in the apartment.

Setting his eyes on her after so many days, he wasn't able to resist himself and casually let his fingertips skim down her arm. She didn't meet his eyes, instead stood still.

"How you been?" he asked huskily resisting the urge to take her in his arms.

"I am good." she murmured and then bent down to lift Daniyaal in her arms as the toddler was tugging at her pants.

She didn't ask about him rather walked in the living room which he quietly trailed behind her.

Discreetly eyeing his dishevelled appearance, his ruffled hair as if he had run his fingers through them innumerable times, his top two buttons of his shirt open revealing his solid built chest muscles and his weary eyes. "Are you coming straight from the airport?" she enquired as he sat on the couch.

He shook his head, "No I had gone straight to work."

She nodded curtly. Her mind was racing how to further stall from going back with him but there were no excuses left. Today, she had to go back to reality and face her fate again.

Samreen emerged from the bedroom smilingly greeted him, "Salaam bhai how are you?"

After replying to her greeting politely, Salman tilted his face to Nawal, "Why don't you get ready so we can leave?"

Nawal pressed her lips, her shoulders drooped in defeat and she left the room but joy erupted in her heart as she heard Samreen speak, "Bhai stay over for dinner. Faraz is about to come back from work any minute now."

Salman hesitated for a few minutes but when Nawal turned and pleaded him with her eyes, he conceded, "Jee why not."

Within the next ten minutes, Faraz was back home and the women were scurrying to serve dinner while the men were busy discussing various business topics. The dinner was eaten in a cheerful atmosphere and when the time came for them to leave, Nawal had tears in her eyes.

She hugged Samreen tightly, "Bhabi you are a blessing. You don't know how much you have helped me in the last few days."

Samreen embraced her back, then pulled away and wiped away Nawal's tears with the palm of her hands, "You shouldn't be going back to your husband's home with tears. Remember all that I have advised you. You will be fine inshaa Allah."

Samreen's meaningful eyes met Salman's, "Bhai please take care of her."

Salman forced a smile and nodded tersely, "Of course."

"It was a pleasure to have you over little sister. Someone to babysit the children," Faraz teased, hugging Nawal, "But your place is with your husband now. You are always welcome here but now try and settle with him and inshaa Allah you will find happiness." His piercing gaze warned Salman silently.

Salman stood tall with his arms folded. His broad shoulders emphasized in the navy blue blazer. Meeting Faraz's gaze easily, he outstretched his hand to Nawal, "She can come here anytime she wants."

Reluctantly, Nawal covered his palm with hers, his fingers firmly enclosing around her hand. One last time she glanced at her brother's family and then followed Salman out to the car. They were quiet during the short walk to the car, none said anything as they strolled hand in hand.

When they approached the car, he released her hand and opened the car's door for her. Her single eyebrow rose inquisitively observing his behaviour but she remained silent as she slipped on the front passenger car seat.