Chapter 20: Cupid and her partner in Crime are in trouble

Start from the beginning

“When my mom’s calling because she usually calls for me to set the table.” and I started laughing.

“Umm... we’re still here, but we ship you guys so it’s okay to be all couply.” said Michelle from next to me as Emily suppressed a giggle. But at the word ‘couply’ my smile faltered. I was remembering my conversation with Britton in the morning. Chase leaned into my ear and whispered.

“You okay?” he asked, concerned etched in his voice.

“I’ll tell you late.” I said as the bell rang.

“Alright, I’ll see you guys later.” I said as Chase entwined his hand in mine. Emily eyed the physical contact and just had to comment on it.

“Stay safe my children! Use protection!” she yelled after us. My cheeks blushed bright red as Chase laughed. As we walked down the hallway I realized the amount of people looking at Chase and I and I started to get uncomfortable.

“Char, you okay?” asked Chase as he looked at me sideways.

“Um? Yeah, I’m fine.” I said hoping not to worry him.

“You’re lying. Cough it up.” He said.

“What? How did you know I was lying?!”

“You’re fidgeting. So what’s up?” he asked as his hand squeezed mine in reassurance.

“Well. Two things. One do you really want to be open about us dating? I mean I’m fine if it’s a secret. I good at that like I mean like I am a secret famous blogger and-” I was cut off my by Chase’s lips on mine. At first I was surprised and a bit angry that he cut me off like that but hey who can keep mad when a super hot boy is kissing you? He pulled away and I knew his answer and I smiled in response.

“So what is the second thing?” He asked continuing the walk to my class.

“Oh, yeah Britton was just upset that he is single and lonely.” I said as I shrugged.

“Wait, Britton? Dude he can get any girl he wants, why is he upset?” Chase said in a incredulous tone.

“That’s what I thought too, but I think he isn’t in love. You know what I mean?” I said as we stopped in front of my class door.

“I sure do.” He said giving me a smirk and I laughed at his cheesiness. Just as I was about to reply to his lame romance attempt Chase’s phone buzzed. He took it out and smiled at it.

“Who is it?” I asked curiously.

“Stella. She asked if I was being a romantic boyfriend or not.” I laughed, but then something clicked.

“What the hell?! Why didn’t I think of this earlier?!” I screamed in excitement. I started jumping up and down around Chase.

“What?” Chase said totally oblivious to the idea he gave me.

“Stella, man! Stella and Britton! Yes! Thank you, Chase!” I said as I hugged him and went into my classroom with the biggest smile on my face. Time for cupid to make his return.

*

“Britton?” I called as I opened the door to my house. Tossing my bag on to the couch I went in search of my brother. Climbing the stairs, I found Britton’s bedroom door closed which is slightly unusual. Slowly walking to his room I placed my ear on the door and heard slight sobbing. Turning the doorknob I entered his room which was pitch black. I found the light switched and flipped it open. Britton had his laptop on his bed while his comforter was wrapped around him.

“Oh Jesus.” I said as I walked over to him. As I sat next to Britton I saw he was watching a chick-flick.

“Britton, are you feeling lonely?” I asked in a counselor voice.