t w e n t y s e v e n

We walk into music class five minutes past the late bell but the teacher doesn't seem to notice.  Instead, he's blabbing away about time signatures and so on while the rest of the class notices our entrance.

A few people whistle at the sight. Others continue snoring away while the teacher lectures.

Then there's Calum and the others.

"Wait a minute.." Ashton mumbles, processing our hands holding.

"No wonder you guys were late." Luke smirks, winking at us.

"Unbelievable." Calum mumbles to himself.

We sit in the seats left empty for us and the attention is set on the fact that Michael and I aren't throwing knives at each other during class for once. It drives me crazy to think that one moment I can argue with him for what seems like hours and then give in.

While Michael's enjoying himself, Calum's loathing every second of music class.

He stares at us with shaded eyes. Every minute that passes gives me less time to worry about what he'll say once that bell rings.

The teacher's voice becomes inaudible and the only sound I can hear is my heart beating loudly.

I can already hear Calum's hateful tone, telling me that Michael's no good for me and that I'm an idiot for going back.

If he really will say that, is he really my friend? A friend wouldn't call you something so foul.. right?

I know he's only looking out for me. God only knows what's on his mind ever since he told me liked me.  His actions and words still echo in my mind to this day and having him get hurt again is something I don't want.  I just hope he doesn't think I'm foolish to put myself in the position of being with Michael again.

Time passes by instantly and to my horror, the bell rings.

The rest of the class files out without another word and I'm left with Michael and Calum. Luke and Ashton tell us that they've got to go make up test for calculus after school and they're headed to the library to cram for it. I nod at them nonchalantly and they do the same nervously. Even the teacher has left, telling us to turn off the lights and close the door before we leave. I can't blame him for doing that. I want nothing but to do the same and leave what I'm about to get myself into.

I look up at Calum first. He wastes no moment to say what's on his mind.

"Why would you make the stupidest decision to go back to this.. this filthy liar who did nothing but hurt you?" Calum says furiously, eyeing Michael with daggers in his eyes.

"Now hold on a minute-" Michael starts.

"Oh, shut it! You need to stay away from her. You hear me? You're going to keep your hands off of her or so God help me-"

"Stop it!" I finally say.

The two unwillingly stop to look in my direction.

I breathe out, "Don't go telling Michael what to do. I've had enough of it. You act like you know what's best for me but you have no idea."

"But this guy's a crimi-"

"I know what he is, but that's not going to change how I feel about him. You've always pointed out what's good and bad for me, but have you ever stopped to ask what I want?" I say.

I can see Michael trying to hide a smirk under his hand.

Calum takes a moment to process what I've just said and frowns.

"You're right." He mumbles.

I'm taken by surprise by his immediate agreement. A part of me was getting ready to argue some more so having Calum surrender this easily has me in awe.

Suddenly, Calum brings himself to look straight at Michael and then to me.

"Are you sure about this one?" He asks one last time.

A small smile finds itself on my face and I exclaim proudly, "Yes, I'm very sure."

Calum looks down and shrugs,"Well I guess if he makes you happy.. then I should learn to accept it."

I jump up to hug him tightly while Michael pats his back.

"Good man." Michael chuckles, "Well how about it, I finally got your father's blessing."

Calum rolls his eyes and punches him in the stomach with force. My eyes grow ten times bigger as Michael groans in pain.

"I deserved that one, I'll tell you that." Michael admits, gasping for air.

"You better not do anything stupid this time." Calum threatens after that.

Michael weakly promises he won't while rubbing the spot he got punched at. I manage a light hearted laugh and hug the two tightly.

"Thank you." I smile.

Michael starts to gather his stuff for study hall while Calum's grip is still around me.

"There's no point in fighting it anymore." Calum whispers in my ear,"You're falling in love with someone that's not me."