t w e n t y f o u r

Without thinking, I rip open the car door and push myself through and into Michael's arms.

His familiar scent welcomes me like home while the touch of his hands bring a sudden energy in my skin. Michael weakly laughs and softly presses my head towards him before planting a kiss on top.

"I was worried sick about you." I croak, my voice suddenly hoarse.

He sighs and pulls me in closer into his embrace. 

"Well I'm here now, aren't I?" he chuckles with a dazed grin.

Ashton and Luke follow my footsteps, both with lifted spirits.

"We were all worried about you!" Ashton yells, adding to the group hug with Luke behind.

Michael laughs lightheartedly, "Wow I'm so loved."

I smile longingly for a while until I recall the reason why Michael's been gone.

"Why were the police here?" I ask in a whisper.

"Hm?"

I repeat myself in a serious tone, "Why were the police here?"

Michael's face sinks down and his mouth turns into a frown.

"Mikayla..."

His hand reaches for mine but I swat it away, wanting answers.

"Answer my question! Did you do anything bad?" I ask, suddenly realizing I've raised my voice.

Luke and Ashton grab hold of me and start walking backwards, trying to distance myself from Michael.

"Let me go!" I push them aside, walking back to Michael.

He takes a step back with concern but doesn't say anything.

Just then, the door to my house opens and out comes my Dad. He looks at me and then straight at Michael. Michael looks back and the two lock stares.

"Mikayla get in the house, this instance! I don't want you hanging around some criminal." He yells in disgust, eyeing down Michael.

My heart stops and my body starts to feel numb with ice.

"Mikayla, I can explain." Michael finally says, grabbing my arm.

I look at him with fright.

Is he really a criminal?

No this can't be. He said he'd.. he'd never lie to me. He promised.

"You've been lying to me all this time." I accuse him, trying to fight back the tears.

"Mikayla, please don't do this. I have a reason why I didn't tell you, just let me explain." Michael begs.

My dad calls for me again, this time walking towards me.

"Well let me know when you're done being a liar because I've had enough." I say all in one breath.

I pass by the boys after that, seeing no point in staying. Crying in front of them isn't something I'd like to go through, so instead of showing them my weakness, I rush inside.

"I don't want them to see me like this. Especially that.. that boy I thought I was in love with!" I yell at myself, running upstairs.

"In love? Young lady, you've got some explaining to do!" My dad exclaims next to the front door.

"Don't you have someone else's life to pretend to care about, dad?" I scream back before walking into my room.

Before I could hear his response, I slam the door behind me, wishing Calum was here to calm me down.