E l e v e n

"A table for three please," Michael winks at the waitress.

The love struck, teenage waitress smiles at his direction, causing a tiny pain to jab me in the stomach. She leads us to a booth next to the window and leaves slowly as if she's daydreaming.

Calum holds onto me, like a lost puppy the entire time with a shy expression. I glance at him with an "I told you so" glare as I guide him to sit next to me.

"I told you," I hiss," you're practically blind!"

"Am not!" Calum barks back.

Michael watches us from the seat across in amusement.

"It's like I'm sitting with a couple of little kids. Fantastic." Michael says, full of sarcasm, with a smile.

My grimace loosens into a smile aimed toward Michael while Calum starts to ramble about things to himself quietly.

The awkward silence stage kicks in and I find myself staring at..

"Enjoying yourself?" Michael asks, snapping me out of a trance.

I blink several times before picking up a menu to pretend-look for food. He chuckles under his breath and kicks my foot with his, lightly.

"Hmm.. this grilled cheese sandwich seems good," I mumble to myself.

Calum looks at the sight in defeat and without warning, puts his arm around me. Michael's warm gaze turns into a pair of envious eyes. I'd give anything to disappear right now.

"Hey Mikayla," some girls from school smile as they pass their table.

I look at their faces and none of them seem familiar. They're just more popular, pretty people that I've yet to associate myself with. I sure hope they weren't at that party last night..

What really starts to get my attention is that, the girls are really just greeting me because of Calum.

Well, that's a first..

"Who's your new boyfriend, Mikayla?" one of them asks, looking straight at Cal.

"I'm right here, folks." Michael mumbles to himself.

Confused, I look at the new and improved Calum Hood. I didn't really notice how different he looked back at his place. Who knew a change of clothing and accidentally breaking your glasses can really make a difference?

He looks back at me and smirks. It's as if a gear shifts in his personality. An entirely different person sits next to me with a smug look on his face. I would never guess a person like that could come from a shy guy like Calum.

"You hear that, Michael? Boyfriend..." Calum says slowly.

The girls stay put and giggle like a bunch of stuck up five year olds. Their taunting laughter annoys me and my feet plead myself to run away.

I grab Calum's arm that's around me and pull it away from me.

"What the hell, babe?" Calum exclaims.

That's when I lose it.

"Babe? Really? Who the hell do you think you are?" I scream, pushing myself through away from the booth and the crowd of girls.

I walk out the diner in a rush and stop myself by the back of the restaurant. Footsteps follow me from a distance but I don't bother to turn around.

I sink to my feet onto the concrete floor, in anger. I kick and punch at the air restlessly until I get tired of it.

It's twice, Calum has acted like a complete jerk with Michael around. Why is he like this? Can't he understand I really like this guy? A best friend shouldn't act that way, or at least I think they shouldn't..

"Well you seem pissed off," Michael interrupts while he leans on the wall.

I look at him and it's as if my anger dissolves. My red face cools down and I wonder if he's been here the entire time.

Looking back down at the floor, I ask a question out of embarrassment.

"Were you watching the entire time.." I mumble.

Michael watched in amusement.

"If you mean, did I witness you karate chop at nothing but air, then yes. Yes, I have been watching the entire time." he answers.

I laugh which makes him laugh.

It's like music to my ears.

"Hey, I made you laugh. That's good. I was getting worried that jerk completely ruined your day." Michael says.

My mind goes back to Calum. Why wasn't he the one to follow me here?

I hold back that selfish thought in my head.

"W-where's Calum? Is he-"

Michael hesitates for a second and decides to sit down next to me.

"He uh, he's occupied with a bunch of um.. girls." he answers slowly.

My head sinks back down.

"What has gotten into him?" I frown.

Michael shrugs and pats my back out of comfort.

"Listen I'm sorry about all this. It was all my fault this even happened," he apologizes.

The sun shines in our eyes, reminding me how much I hate being outside. What I'd give to go back home in the comfort of my own room. I'm afraid the moves Calum was trying to pull just moments ago, ruined my appetite.

"It's alright, I just want to go home." I whisper, loud enough for Michael to hear.

I feel his breath against my skin and we stay sitting for a while until Michael decides to stand up.

He gives out a loud yawn and holds out his right hand for me to grab onto.

"C'mon," he smiles," let's go somewhere."

"Where?" I look up.

"Just trust me."

I roll my eyes at him as the door to the diner opens abruptly. Before even checking, I grab onto Michael's hand to stand up. Soon, all at once, I hear the familiar squeals and giggles of the same smitten girls from before.

Michael and I start to walk to avoid them and Calum. I'm tempted to look at Cal to see whether or not he'll look back.

"Just keep walking," Michael whispers, holding on my hand.

I take his advice into consideration and watch my feet while I walk, which is a bad habit I have of doing at school.

Left foot. Right foot. Left foot. Right foot.

I continue this until we've made it to the parking lot. Michael pulls out his keys from his back pocket to unlock the car and happily opens the passenger door for me.

"Thank you," I say.

He nods with a smile and closes the door softly. While he walks around the car to his seat, I take one deep breath. My eyes catch another pair when I look out the car's window.

Calum looks at me for a moment before another one of those girls try to get his attention.

"I hope this isn't permanent," I mumble to myself.

Michael opens the driver's door and immediately plays the stereo once the car is on. Soon the sounds of "The Killers" surround the car.

"So where are we going?" I ask, still focused on Calum.

Michael grins while he starts backing up.

"I was thinking we could actually go somewhere to eat besides this place. You know, for an actual date." He answers.

"A date, hm?"

"You heard me, Eastwood." he smiles, looking straight at the road.