I Was Replaced by the New Girl (Three)

Recap:

Recesses and Lunches passed, we grew more comfortable in her company. An extra seat was always saved for her in class. I had never really had a proper conversation with Emie, only the 'Hello's and 'What did you do on the weekend?'s. She seemed more attached to Jessica and Nina. I didn't really mind, I had my other friends.

On my side of things, I saw Tram Boy everyday for the whole week. I saw him frequently over the course of two weeks. He seemed to feel my presence, and turned to look occasionally at me when he boarded the tram. Very rarely, we would make eye contact, and this would be the time I would almost faint.

---

It was nearing July and the end of the winter school holidays, and it was getting to the peak of winter. Feet were losing circulation and sharp needles of the cold pierced our skin. The clouds seemed like they had a permanent wash of white and grey, and by the looks of it, the sun never decided to come out for a visit anymore.

We were both staring out into the distant night sky. Our friends talked in low voices in the background, doing the same as what we were; staring at the stars, sharing ideas about life and whatever it plans to do with us. I felt warm in his presence, he was my own personal sun that radiated mutual euphoria. I moved closer against him so that I could share some of his warmth on the cold hill overlooking the town. I turned my head so I could look properly at his face. He said something, I couldn't hear, because a very, very sharp and loud sound went over it which angered me to the greatest amount.

It was so stupid of me not to realise immediately that it was not reality. For a moment my eyes widened and my heart sped up, thinking I was reliving an actual memory of mine. I shook my head and closed my eyes again.

For what seemed like one minute later, a very bright light forced me out of my natural unconsciousness.

'Samantha!'

'What?!' I said, agitated. 'Oh shit!'

It was half past seven and my tram left at quarter to eight. Talk about a great way to start the term. I pulled on my conveniently more than necessary school uniform of a singlet, blouse, jumper, tie, skirt, stockings and shoes on in record time, skipped breakfast, gurgled Listerine and threw my lunch into my bag and ran out the door. I didn't even bother to fix my hair, which a majorly stupid thing to do, because Tram Boy now caught the morning tram, without his friends I must say, as well as the afternoon ride. I'd put a smidge of eye make-up on in my early-morning hassle, and didn't even look twice in my mirror. This would just spell disaster.

While I half ran-half walked to the tram stop, I collected my coins that I had to pay for, because my parents were stupid enough not to remember to buy the Half-Yearly Tram pass, and now I had to spend my well-earned money on a daily ticket that takes me where I do not want to go to.

I saw the carriage arrive just as I approached the stop. Thank goodness for my occasional luck.

I ran to the doors, because I was a bit late compared to the other passengers who had just gotten on, and made it just in time. I counted my change in my hand, and in my peripheral vision I saw Tram Boy. The reason I got to this much effort to chase this tram.

As the carriage jolted, so did I. The effect to me was tremendous, it was like a fall in slow motion in the movies. I probably looked like an uncoordinated monkey when my instincts came in and broke my fall, preventing me to break my face, however the coins in my hand flew into places I would not be able to retrieve, and my skirt was probably up to my back. After I took a breath and realized what had just happened, my hand immediately flew down to my backside to see where my skirt had walked up to. Let me tell you, it was not good.