Ch.1

Devin's P.O.V.

As the dawn approaches, the more excited our herd becomes. Today, we are moving to a new home, a new start. Dad comes into my room and smiles, "Honey, are you ready to go?"

My father looks very young, but don't let that fool you. Shifters can live over a hundred years, and never look older that thirty. What most people like is his sparkling blue eyes, like twin sapphires shining in a dim cave. I get my brown hair from my Dad, but other than that, I take after Mom. My eyes are glowing green, with grey flex, so different from the rest of my family.

"Yep! Are you and Ben ready to go?" I ask, practically bouncing in anticipation.

Father light chuckles, and holds out his hand, "Yea. Come on, lets go."

Firmly, I take it into my own. As we make our way out of the house, Ben runs over to us. His curly blond hair bouncing all over the place. I can't believe he's turning twelve soon. His eyes match Dad's, but his smile can melt the strongest of hearts.

"Can we go now? Damon is starting to get on my nerves." he whines. You see, each person's inner horse has a name that only the shifter knows. Mine is called Storm, Dad's is called Daitrix , and as you can tell, Ben's is called Damon.

Smiling, I ruffle his hair. "If you stop complaining, we can. Go get in position, love."

"YES!" He yells, going back to stand with his friends.

Turning to my father, "Who going to lead this time?"

Dad smiles, and releases my hand, "It's finally time for you to lead us. Soon you will be the leader, so today is your chance to prove yourself."

I look at him with shock, he was letting me lead? The honor of running in front shows your rank in the herd, and it stands for leadership. He was trusting me to be leader.

"Its time, baby-girl. Get everyone ready." He said, before wander off to get in his own position.

Taking a deep breath, I call out, "It's time to shifter. Is everyone ready?"

"YES!" Comes the excited screams of the kids, making the parent's laugh. Finally, I could become who is really was. Letting my horse take control, we shifted into out large black mare. After the first shift, it doesn't hurt anymore. It just feels like something is fiercely tugging on your body, then its over.

My senses become ten times sharper, like the world brightens with color. The small smells of wood, the calming sent of my family. Nothing could compare to being in this form. Beside me, my father's large brown and black figure brushes against my side. With his nod, a loud whiney of joy burst forth from inside me. Finally, we could do what we breed to do.

Run.

Raising onto my back hooves, I tossed my long mane in excitement. The other's whined back, and as soon as I touch the ground again, we set off into the unknown. The wind brushed against my large body, muscles stretching with the fast pace. This was freedom, something that called to our inner animal.

Ben ran close to me, his little brown horse trying in vain to match my strides. Around us, the world moved like a blur, yet somehow it didn't bother me. I could just imagine what we looked like, running across the grass lands. Over a hundred strong, a huge black mare leading the group proudly, with her mane blowing wildly in the wind.

Nothing could describe running like this, having my family by my side and being connect with me.

Together, we couldn't be defeated.

United we would survive this war.

Little did I now then, in those innocent times of glee, that fate would rip it all apart.

This would be the last time, I would ever run with my family....

__________________________________________________________________________________

Comment or vote! Hope you all liked it! Thanks. ;)