Prolog

*14 years earlier*

Devin's P.O.V.

The warm sun rays flowed through the opening of our home. It was peaceful, and I was laughing quietly. The little grass doll like my own baby, held tightly in my hand. Suddenly, I gasped and let go off her. A pain hit me so bad, I was forced to lay curled up in the floor. My little body was shaking, but the pain just got worse.

"Daddy, Daddy! Make it stop, it hurts! Make it stop!" I yell, tears streaming down my pudgy, six-year-old cheeks. My little hands gripped my tummy as shots of pain ripped through my body. The pain, oh it hurt soooooo bad!

Daddy came rushing into the room, his feet thudding loudly on the ground. He knelt down next me, and picked me up in his strong arms. In a voice full of pride, Daddy said, "I know Baby-girl. This is your first shift. It's going to hurt a lot, but you're going to be okay."

A scream ripped its way out of my chest, so loud it made my dad flinch. Still he carried me outside of our little hut. Each step was like a hot metal being jabbed all over my body.

"Daddy, please! Make it stop, stop it please! Plea-" and I lay helpless as another gut-retching scream broke free. My finger raked his thick shirt, until he set me down.

Dad sat by my side, trying everything to comfort me. The rest of the herd came running, their panic voices blurred together through the pain. For hours, the pain just got worse and worse. Nothing could stop the agony, and I screamed till my voice came out in horrible raw screeches.

Daddy had tears in his eyes too, his warm face in a frown. His hands twitched at his sides, like he was fighting the urge to help. In those last moments before the change, it seemed like time stood still. A gentle presence filled my mind, and with a warm embrace it welcomed me.

Nothing could describe what it felt like, and it made me gasped. Her soul mixed with mine, ancient power filling in the lonely pieces of my heart. My inner horse, my new best friend.

Suddenly, the pain stopped, and things became less fuzzy. I opened my eyes, but no longer was I human. Somehow, I felt like I had been reborn into a new life.

I remember looking at my Father's watery eyes, and seeing a little black foal. Her coat was darker than moonlight, so different from any other hose I had seen. Most of the herd were brown or spotted, like my Dad.

My father knelt and touched the side of my long face.

In low whisper, he said something that I would never forget. "Honey, you are so beautiful. You are so much like Mommy."

The herd celebrated, welcoming me into their loving arms.

Here I felt safe, and I would never let them go..

*End of Flashback*

Now, I'm turning twenty next week. It brings back so many things of the past, memories that I could of sworn were forgotten. Now, my people suffer, yet nothing I do can end it. Werewolves have destroyed most of our kind. My little brother, Ben, was born a few years later. My dad fell in love again, but she too died. After all these years, he cries for them.

I can't believe my life as passed by so fast. It seems like yesterday, when my inner creator started to speak to me. So much time, yet never have I been this lonely.

"I will always be there with you, Devin." Her loving voice whispered in my mind. With that a smile turned my lips.

"Devin!", yelled someone.

"Coming!", I yelled, smiling as I ran off towards my herd, my true home....

______________________________________________________________________

Like it, hate it? What do you guys think? Oh, and don't forget to comment or vote. Thanks! ;)