Chapter 2

Undercover

Ashlyn's POV

"Mom I did it!" I exclaim excitedly. Nothing will impress her except when a criminal is taken down. That's why I do this job. Other wise I would probably see my mom for three seconds in the morning, then have her act like I'm invisible when I'm around.

Ever since I was five nothing I do has impressed this woman. We've become so different after... the incident. I'm no longer her little girl, I've become her agent.

"Dexter Peterson?" My mom asks, taking out his file and giving it to one of the employees so they can take it to the police station and make up a false, but believable story for the public to hear or read about. Rather than putting down in articles that a teenager spy has taken down some of the biggest criminals in Miami.

"Yeah," I smile. "Ash took that ass down!" I yell causing some people to turn and look at me.

Mom narrows her eyes on me in disappointment at my choice words. If you take down as many bad guys like me swear words would be in your vocabulary too, even if you didn't teach yourself them. But you got to admit that was a pretty good line. It should be my new catch phrase.

"Sorry." I apologize hoping she won't take one of my weapons.

"It's fine, but only this one time. Next time I won't go easy." Happy dancing in my head that I don't have to get something taken away. "Now how about we celebrate by having a mother daughter day? Just you and me, we can do anything."

Mother daughter days for me are very, very, very, very, VERY rare.

*RING!*

My moms work phone goes off.

"Who is it?" I ask.

"It doesn't say." Mom says placing the odd landline or whatever that weird looking phone is to her ear. "Hello?" She asks into the phone but has to get her coffee that's on the other side of the room so she tells me to put it on speaker as she gets her mug.

"Yes! Summers." The man says in a rude tone. Well somebody's on their period! Usually a simple hello is used when you call someone. "You might've gotten my brother, but you will NEVER get me. Looks like it's been a decade and you still haven't gotten that sweet revenge." Then he hangs up. Well goodbye to you too!

"Sorry sweetie we need to reschedule that mother daughter day." She says looking a little pale at who just called.

"Mom who was that?"

"Dexter Peterson's older brother, Richard Peterson." She answers.

"Yeah, so what's the big difference? He's probably not that good why can't we just get him?" I mean he can't be that good. No one actually told me about him but he's probably the same thing as his brother. Drug dealer, tall, stupid looking blah blah blah. I'm pretty good at my job. I took down four men almost twice my size in about twenty minutes.

"Ashlyn it's not that simple." Mother sighs. "He's too dangerous."

"I can handle it!"

"He's too much!"

"He's not I can do it!"

"ASHLYN!"

"He can't be that-"

"He's the one who killed your father!" Mom cuts me off and I flinch at how loud her voice is. Some workers turn their heads towards my mothers large office that we're in and I close the door.

"H-he killed dad?!" I yell not caring who can hear.

"Yes Ashlyn." Mom said hesitantly.

"So all this time HE killed dad..." I mostly whisper to myself. "All this time." I repeat.