Chapter 10

Ok this one is pretty short, but let me know what you think OK?

Chapter 10

The darkness was becoming unbearable, trapping me where I stood, with no way of escape… I attempted to survey my surroundings, and could just about make out a few trees in the distance. In all but seconds, the torturing blackness changed. I was in a forest, the one at the edge of town to be precise, the one that was right down my road… 

I was physically shaking with fear, of what I have no idea. I haven’t been in the woods before, I don’t know where to go, but those thoughts were soon interrupted by a loud voice in my head. I couldn’t make out what they were saying, I desperately needed to, but I couldn’t.

The bushes began an eerie rustle, sending my mind into overdrive, I knew that whatever was causing it, was what was making my body shake even more erratically.

I took a few paces backwards, willing my feet to move faster, obviously not fast enough as, out from the bush, a huge brown wolf the size of a bear made an appearance, launching itself in my direction.

I sped away, heading to god knows where, all I needed to do was get away, but I could almost hear the wolfs humourless laugh from close behind me. Twigs were snapping and I wouldn’t be surprised if the ground caved in under its weight!

The voice in my head returned, steering me in one direction. Towards a figure, who was charging towards me? Someone who looked exactly like Roman…

The beast was nipping at my heels, but with each stride I got closer to Roman, to safety. Just as we were getting closer, the wolf pounced on my back, knocking me clean off my feet and resulting with me face planting the ground.

To my complete and utter surprise, Romans feet were already standing in front of me, looking up I saw the utter hatred and anger in his eyes. No, it wasn’t directed towards me, it was towards the wolf that seemed to be sneering at him from his position opposite.  Roman came to a crouch and lifted me on my knees, with a loving expression he wiped some of the dirt off of my face, and didn’t complain as I clung to his arm for support.

He stood me up, his mouth moving but no words were reaching my ears, it was like I couldn’t hear, I knew for a fact that what he was saying was important, but I couldn’t hear! Thinking about it now, I guess I must have known what was about to happen, maybe by imparing my hearing my body was sending me a sign, an opportunity, but it was too late.

In one quick blur, the disgusting beast launched, taking an un-expecting Roman by surprise. ..

* * * * *

My head shot up from my pillow, my voice aching against the severity of my scream. I couldn’t stop it, Roman was dead.

My door almost flew off its hinges as Dylan charged into the room and took me into his arms, pressing my face to his chest, effectively stopping my screams.

“Shhhh honey, it was just a bad dream, everything’s ok, I’m here.”

Dream? No it can’t have been, it was too real.

I lifted my head up from Dylan’s chest, expecting to find myself in the midst of the forest, but instead found myself surveying the familiar interior of my bedroom.

Taking a few calming breaths, i finally managed to control my hysterics.

“I’m sorry for waking you up Dylan, I was so scared.” I muttered to my brother, his protectiveness must have gotten the best of him, seeing as he flew into my bedroom at the sound of my cry.

“Don’t worry about it! You never have to be scared as long as I’m here ok?” I could feel my love for my brother growing even more by each word.

“I know, I love you Dylan.”

“I love you too; now go back to sleep – but next time try not to wake the whole street up kay?” He joked, as he exited the room.

Yeah, like I am actually going to sleep again after having that nightmare! At least i know there isnt any wolves near my woods...