Fatherly Advice

The first thing I felt was a terrible headache. Worse than I'd ever felt in my life. But I remembered I probably smashed my skull on the pavement. Harry couldn't have caught me, he wasn't actually there. The second thing I felt was someone's large hand squeezing mine. It was either one of my uncles, or Theo.

"I swear, she looked at the car and walked into the street," someone was saying. I could hardly hear them. It was like I was listening under water. But they did sound a lot like Theo. "I don't know why, but she did."

"Sydney is not suicidal!" a woman shrieked. It was safe to assume it was my mom.

"Not to be rude, Mrs.Styles, but why else would Sydney walk into the line of traffic?" Theo pointed out.

I wasn't suicidal. Harry told me to do it. But how was I supposed to tell anyone that without upsetting absolutely everyone? Except Theo, no one knew I could see him. It was hard keeping it a secret because I kept taking the fall for everything Harry got me to do. This was insane!

"Why did you follow her outside?" Louis questioned Theo.

"We fell sleep on the couch and I felt her get up," Theo explained. "I heard the front door close, so I looked out the window and saw her standing there by herself. Then she started walking down the street, so I followed her."

It was strange to think that if Theo hadn't woken up and followed me, I'd probably still be in the street or something. From the way they were talking, it sounded like the driver didn't really stick around to help much.

 "We should let her get some rest." a calming, deep voice announced. I didn't recognize it, so I assumed it was the doctor that was taking care of me.

"Can I just stay in here?" Theo asked.

"Of course." the doctor replied as the shuffling of feet faded, and I heard the faint click of the door closing.

I opened my eyes and took everything in. Beside me on my left was Theo, messing around with his phone, and Lola, who smiled at me. To my right on the bedside table was Maxee, who looked pleased I had chosen life. At the end of my bed stood Hal with Tuesday sitting on her left shoulder. And in the corner of the room by the door, stood Harry with a grimace placed on his features. He was obviously the least pleased about my decision to actually live. What a supportive father, huh?

"How long have I been out?" I croaked.

Theo jumped a little at the sound of my voice, but relief flooded his face when he saw I was awake and okay. "A couple hours. It's only 4:30 right now."

"Same day?"

"Same day."

At least I was out that long. It felt like longer, honestly. The sky was still dark, which I could see out the window to my right. I was in a singles room, so I didn't have to share with anyone. My mom probably requested it so I wouldn't be bothered by anyone.

"We never got to finish The Hangover Part 3." I said, mustering up a smile.

Theo half smiled and laughed. "It's okay, I have it with me."

He grabbed the remote to the TV off the bedside table to my left and turned the TV on. The channel it landed on was BBC News. And guess who they were showing?

"Two hours ago, Sydney Styles, daughter of Marissa Styles and deceased boyband member, Harry Styles walked in front of a car as it was speeding down a hill. Theo Horan, nephew of former boyband member, Niall Horan was the one to find her after the car sped away, not stopping to see if she was okay. Investigators are currently looking for the driver that hit the eighteen-year-old girl. Sydney already has a mental illness: schizophrenia, so doctors are worried the accident might make her worse. No word on Sydney's current state, or the hospital she's located in, but everyone's hoping for a full recovery."

"A car crash will not make my schizophrenia any worse than it already is." I grumbled.

"Oh, hush," Theo chuckled, putting the DVD into the TV. "They can't hear you anyway."

As the commercials and previews started playing, Theo tried to fast forward through all of them. Harry, however, was growing impatient about something and cleared his throat. I looked at him, and he raised an eyebrow, jerking his head to Theo.

"Hey, would you mind stepping out for a sec?" I asked him. "Harry wants to have a chat."

Harry rolled his eyes when I told Theo why he had to go, but said nothing about it. Theo rolled his eyes too, but he wasn't facing Harry. "Alright," Theo sighed, walking towards the door and throwing it open. "Have fun."

After the door shut, Hal, Tuesday, and Maxee moved away from my bed, disappearing into different places. Harry moved from his place. "I find it funny how you left happiness and peace for a movie date with Niall's nephew."

"I find it funny that you find it funny that you think I'd leave Theo and your best friends," I shot back. "Also, why did you tell me I wouldn't be alone?"

"I said no such thing," he lied smoothly, but I didn't bother fighting with him about it. "Anyway, you should know Percy didn't show up to see you."

"Wow, I'm so surprised." I said, my voice dripping sarcasm.

"You should also know your mom almost didn't come because Percy told her you were going to be fine and it could wait until the morning." he added.

Okay, I had to admit that really hurt. Actually, I was furious over this. How could my mom listen to Percy? Oh wait, Hal and Harry already brought me through this. My mom would obviously pick love and happiness over a freak like me. I would too, I couldn't blame her.

"Are you actually glad you decided to stay here?" he smirked, knowing he was getting under my skin and in my head.

"I still have Theo and my uncles, you know." I reminded him with my teeth clenched in anger. I couldn't get over the whole mom thing.

Harry sighed. "You know I love those boys more than anything. But trust me when I say this: they'd get over you. They got over me. Your mom got over me. As for Theo, sweetheart, you're holding him back. He dropped out of college. Why? You. If you were gone, sure he'd be sad, but he'd get over it too. And he'd have a better life."

"I thought you were my father," I almost yelled. "Why do you keep fucking with me like this?"

"It's out of love, Sydney," he said, soothingly. He took my hand in his like he did when he got me hit by that car. "I am your father, and I'm trying to point you in the right direction. Just like a real father would."

"By getting me to kill myself?"

"By trying to make you happier."

"How could death make me-"

But then I remembered. When I had a glimpse of what it was like to die, I felt so much better. My head wasn't crowded. I felt free and happier. It was better than living. I felt better than I did when I was alive. Harry had made his point.